Cleaner shrimp missing it's forceps to feed itself, need advice

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skunk cleaner-shrimp had an incomplete molt a couple days ago and appears to have lost both of his forceps (pinchers) he uses to feed himself with, and 2 antenna and 3 legs, and his other remaining legs were hogtied in his molt. Looks like he may have gotten into a fight with an emerald crab or something while he was molting. I did my best to help him. I got an exacto blade and separated his legs so they could move but they are still slightly incased in the molt so its like each surviving limb is essentially in a straight jacket.
I moved him into a quarantine mesh frame so he can be safe and I try to drop food in there and he awkwardly but excitedly tries to waddle/swim over to it but just stands above it, unable to feed himself since he does not have his forceps to grab the food and put it in his mouth. He cant figure out how to get to it. I tried to get the food to his mouth but his legs keep getting in the way.
I am really open to suggestions and being creative here.

I know they can grow back limbs with the next molt but that is a decent while away and he needs to eat to get back to that point. One (extreme) thought I had seemed a bit experimental and radical, was essentially cutting off each encased limb to the exposed stub and try to hand feed him daily until he can regrow his limbs, but before I try anything I would like to hear from the best of the best, you guys!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My skunk cleaner-shrimp had an incomplete molt a couple days ago and appears to have lost both of his forceps (pinchers) he uses to feed himself with, and 2 antenna and 3 legs, and his other remaining legs were hogtied in his molt. Looks like he may have gotten into a fight with an emerald crab or something while he was molting. I did my best to help him. I got an exacto blade and separated his legs so they could move but they are still slightly incased in the molt so its like each surviving limb is essentially in a straight jacket.
I moved him into a quarantine mesh frame so he can be safe and I try to drop food in there and he awkwardly but excitedly tries to waddle/swim over to it but just stands above it, unable to feed himself since he does not have his forceps to grab the food and put it in his mouth. He cant figure out how to get to it. I tried to get the food to his mouth but his legs keep getting in the way.

I know they can grow back limbs with the next molt but that is a decent while away and he needs to eat to get back to that point. One (extreme) thought I had seemed a bit experimental and radical, was essentially cutting off each encased limb to the exposed stub and try to hand feed him daily until he can regrow his limbs, but before I try anything I would like to hear from the best of the best, you guys!
I would not necessarily cut anything off - a picture would be helpful if you can post one. My experience is that 1. They can go a while without eating. 2. Depending on the age of the shrimp (their lifespan is not that long) - this type of thing can be a symptom of 'old age'. 3. Regeneration can be quicker than one would imagine. I'm torn between saying 'let him go in the tank and try to get food' vs leaving him in the acclimation box.

EDIT - PS - the 'forceps' are considered one of the appendages that should regenerate.

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not necessarily cut anything off - a picture would be helpful if you can post one. My experience is that 1. They can go a while without eating. 2. Depending on the age of the shrimp (their lifespan is not that long) - this type of thing can be a symptom of 'old age'. 3. Regeneration can be quicker than one would imagine. I'm torn between saying 'let him go in the tank and try to get food' vs leaving him in the acclimation box.

EDIT - PS - the 'forceps' are considered one of the appendages that should regenerate.
Not sure if this video will play (If not see attachment):

This is an aerial view:
IMG_7968.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7972.mov
    19.3 MB

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to let nature take its course. If food is available, the shrimp will find it and eat it, with or without its front pinchers. I wouldn't help or cut anything unless you know what you are doing in this area.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - it's a mature shrimp - I don't think there is anything 'sure' to do - either 1. Let it go - and fend for itself - or 2. Keep trying to feed it in the acclimation box. My guess/opinion would be to try and let it feed on rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It will restore this

at next molting
Offer algae tabs as a supplement for now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%

Back