Spirulina for lionfish?

ultrasuede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a red lionfish and i'm looking into making some gel food for him. It's going to consist of fish, garlic, prawn and squid set with agar agar, but I have some spirulina and wondering if it will enhance his colours at all? what do you think?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,

I have a red lionfish and i'm looking into making some gel food for him. It's going to consist of fish, garlic, prawn and squid set with agar agar, but I have some spirulina and wondering if it will enhance his colours at all? what do you think?
I doubt spirulina will do much for a lionfish. ( IDK, could be wrong)
My question is, does your lionfish eat prepared cube food?
All of the ones I've had wouldn't go near any free floating food unless it looked like a fish or shrimp, prawn, etc.

OP
OP
ultrasuede

ultrasuede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt spirulina will do much for a lionfish. ( IDK, could be wrong)
My question is, does your lionfish eat prepared cube food?
All of the ones I've had wouldn't go near any free floating food unless it looked like a fish or shrimp, prawn, etc.
Yeah mate. If you dangle anything in front of its face for long enough, it will eventually eat it. Especially if it smells like garlic

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While predators they get this type of nutrients from the guts of the critters they eat in the wild. So if not including live food in their captive diet, this may be a beneficial ingredient. This may be one of the missing points in long term lion nutrition with lions kept on a dead only diet.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While predators they get this type of nutrients from the guts of the critters they eat in the wild. So if not including live food in their captive diet, this may be a beneficial ingredient. This may be one of the missing points in long term lion nutrition with lions kept on a dead only diet.

+1
Adding selcon or fish oil would be more beneficial IMO.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back