Splash Squad 6.6 Gallon Experiment

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

This is a classroom account where we hope to log our successes with our class Nano Reef Tank. It will be updated and monitored by 4th Graders.

This entire project is possible because of @revhtree for putting together this forum, the wonderful people here at #Reef2Reef and @SR Aquaristik!

It all began with a contest. Though I didn't win, the people at @SR Aquaristik wanted to help the children in my class and hopefully inspire them to this amazing hobby. They donated a tank and a few items to get us started.

Since this will be a class project/pet, the students will be responsible for all the decision making which started with our name :cool: We will do some polls here and look to you all for advice as well. Future posts will be done by the students as the project progresses.

As this is a youtube generation, they wanted our first post to be an "unboxing" o_O No YouTube just yet, but we do have photos :p

OP
OP
Splash_Squad

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eager Anticipation
P1010071.JPG

A box!
P1010073.JPG

The Tank
P1010074.JPG

Flake Food, Water Conditioner, and Glass Cleaner
P1010077.JPG P1010076.JPG P1010075.JPG

Excited to be on our way! Thank you, again for making this possible!
tysra.JPG

OP
OP
Splash_Squad

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Triggreef and @MacQac !
To be honest the teachers I remember most were the ones that did things like this.
I am very blessed that many former students do often reach out and tell me of their conquests. One young man just happened to stop in this week after serving 4 years in the Marine Corps, and headed on to college now. Others have graduated college, started careers, or are still on the path. It is nothing short of a miracle when I get to see them again or get a letter. Although the rewards of teaching aren't monetary, the emotional rewards are priceless.
So excited!!!! I think it's awesome way to grow respect and patience for natures beautiful creatures.
I wholeheartedly agree. Respect, ownership, and responsibility are just as important as the other 3 Rs!

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi kids! This is gonna be such a fun experiment. There are so many decisions to make though, especially since you have a nano tank. Don't tell your teacher but you also will be learning science. Shhhh. You guys really have to check out the kids on R2R from Stratton Elementary they would love to hear from other kids their age. They have some cool stuff. Keep us posted we love to see kids learning.

SR Aquaristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited that we could help! Introducing children to this amazing hobby will teach them so many important lessons. Thank you so much for being such a great teacher and influencing the next generation! Teachers like you will never be forgotten by these children!

OP
OP
Splash_Squad

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170329_103123.jpg

Hi, I am part of the 4H splash squad. We are almost ready to start the cycling the tank. Some kids have donated salt and live sand. A great way to start this tank. We almost have everything ready. We just need 5OW heater, API test kit, micro bacter 7, and the waterproof outlet.
20170329_103117.jpg
Today we learned about osmosis because we will be using RO water. We used an egg to demonstrate. We put the egg in acid to take some of the calcium and make it easy for the liquid to travel through the egg shell. We will check on the egg in 24 hours and see what happened. Then, we will put water in the container to see osmosis.

SR Aquaristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, I also set one up so that I can experience the same thing. Looking forward to more updates!
Best regards,
Scott

OP
OP
Splash_Squad

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this time that we did not post we have bean doing experiments.For an example we did an osmosis experiment we put a egg in a jar.We added vinegar into the jar with the egg to decalcify the shell.Then we dumped out the vinegar and put water in the jar.The egg grew three times the size!
20170417_202334.jpg

20170515_142630.jpg

OP
OP
Splash_Squad

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all apologize that we haven't been posting for long time. Unfortunately, the funding fell through, and we are trying to buy all the stuff now for the tank.
On 5/15/2017 we set up the tank we put the water in,heater in,live sand, and live rock in the tank.We used the refractometer to measure the Salinity it had to be 1.025 and we mixed the saltwater with fresh water three times.
Now I will give you all the items we still need a 25w heater for nano tank, API saltwater master test kit, micro Bacter 7, disposable gloves (small) ,Hydromometer, Thermometer, water lifter, filter sock, Carbon for filter, Mysis, small plastic containers for fish supplies, Air line tubing, and plastic tubing for water changing.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, I have a son that is in the 4th grade and he would be blown away if his teacher did something like this. Sadly he didn't but that's beside the point. Definitely following along and can't wait to see your progress..

OP
OP
Splash_Squad

Splash_Squad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Wednesday we got the Xenia Coral.
20170519_132154_1495214554264_resized.jpg
Since it is a picture you cant tell that it is moving, in a video you could tell that it is moving. In the first photo if you look close enough you can see some shells.
20170519_132114_1495214556408_resized.jpg
As you see in this picture there are shells. There is only one Hermit crab and one Nassarius snail. Your probably wondering why there are so many shells that's because that if the Hermit crab gets to big for the shell its going to need a new shell. So the Hermit crab is going to go kill the snail take its shell and, where the snails shell. That is the reason why we need so many shells.
20170519_140935_resized.jpg
In this photo as you can see we got a fish! Thanks Mrs. Schwindtt for donating the fish to our class. Everyone is very happy and very thankful. We are still trying to think of a name but, we can't choose one. Well that's all we have for today.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back