Split/Divided seahorse and coral tank . I want to have all my corals and keep seahorses too!

Have you kept Seahorses at some point in your hobby?

• plan to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My split/divided seahorse and coral tank solution.

The Idea of keeping most of my, "not seahorse compatible," corals came to me after realizing that I did not want to sacrifice the beauty and elegance of my reef for my dream of having my own herd of seahorses. My husband and I went back and forth on some ideas but ultimately it came down to available space for my hobby.

20221020_114923.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The Idea of keeping most of my, "not seahorse compatible," corals came to me after realizing that I did not want to sacrifice the beauty and elegance of my reef for my dream of having my own herd of seahorses. My husband and I went back and forth on some ideas but ultimately it came down to available space for my hobby.

20221020_114923.jpg
I'm assuming you're not asking for an opinion - but I would raise the water level - if possible for appearance. I'm curious - what are you suing for a divider - and filtration. There are also Seahorses that are fine for reefs.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! i am curious how this works out i just picked up a RS reefer 300xl for a sh set up. but then we decided to travel for 18 months so my dream of a SH will have to wait some more. only been 5 years in the making...

i also woul dlike to see how you handle the biolad of the Sh with the corals. same water and filtration or different tanks in one tank so to speak.

OP
OP
HawaiiTime

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221020_114923.jpg
I'm assuming you're not asking for an opinion - but I would raise the water level - if possible for appearance. I'm curious - what are you suing for a divider - and filtration. There are also Seahorses that are fine for reefs.
Thank you for the comment. I keep the water level lower so that my wave maker and water oscillator can better mimic gentile wave motion on the water surface and light refectory. Plus I like the sound better too.I use a simple acrylic divider. Some of my coral pack a mean sting and I also have 3 bubble tip anemones, I don't want them to eat my ponies and the clowns that protect them are very aggressive.

OP
OP
HawaiiTime

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! i am curious how this works out i just picked up a RS reefer 300xl for a sh set up. but then we decided to travel for 18 months so my dream of a SH will have to wait some more. only been 5 years in the making...

i also woul dlike to see how you handle the biolad of the Sh with the corals. same water and filtration or different tanks in one tank so to speak.
My tank is several years old and I have found that lots of healthy live rock, good water flow and bubble filtration are the main and best ways of handling the bio load. I only have 2 clowns and a hawk with with corals and they are only there for my children and others to enjoy, its all about gardening corals for me on that side of my tank !LOL

In my refugium I have a colony of glass shrimp too, They are amazing cleaners and I hope to have them start releasing fry into the water column soon! I have only had the glass shrimp for a couple of months, fingers crossed... more food for my seahorses!

OP
OP
HawaiiTime

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the color of the avatar pic kinda looks like a OR Sh. its one place I might be some when the time comes. just curious
I would recommend getting stock from Ocean rider. I have toured their facility twice and they just keep getting better at what they are doing as time goes on. More recreantly the Hawaiian seahorse has been rediscovered and they have a breading program that promotes purchase for release back into Hawaiian waters! They are doing great things while also allowing us (responsible reefers) the opportunity to enjoy the magical seahorse in our home aquaria... I know that sounds like some sort of add I just spouted off, but I really do appreciate their efforts. It's not just about money with them.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting stock from Ocean rider. I have toured their facility twice and they just keep getting better at what they are doing as time goes on. More recreantly the Hawaiian seahorse has been rediscovered and they have a breading program that promotes purchase for release back into Hawaiian waters! They are doing great things while also allowing us (responsible reefers) the opportunity to enjoy the magical seahorse in our home aquaria... I know that sounds like some sort of add I just spouted off, but I really do appreciate their efforts. It's not just about money with them.
sorry for the typos glad you still could understand that. I do like OR stock been looking at them for years. good to hear about the Hawaiian SH!

OP
OP
HawaiiTime

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221020_114923.jpg
My tank is several years old and I have found that lots of healthy live rock, good water flow and bubble filtration are the main and best ways of handling the bio load. I only have 2 clowns and a hawk with with corals and they are only there for my children and others to enjoy, its all about gardening corals for me on the left side of my tank !LOL

In my refugium I have a colony of glass shrimp and am starting to see more and more females carrying eggs. I added them after I already had the seahorses. They are amazing cleaners and I hope to have them start releasing fry into the water column soon! I

Currently my tank is a 90 gallon split with a stiff acrylic divider that overflows into a small gravity fed acrylic catch then down through a diamond bit drilled 2" hole connected with pvc pipe down to a 30 to 40 gallon rubber tub refugium. I have it packed with cultured live rock/dead coral as my main filtration system. I often run a bubble scrubber/protean skimmer to remove algae and other particles from building up in the water column.

I also use the refugium to clean rock from my upper tank as needed by rotating different pieces for my corals to sit on.

I keep the water level lower than most to try to mimic wave action. My led lights are adjusted to turn on and off morning to night and to start with blues then to whites then back to blues through out the day.

Attachments

• 20221028_095814.mp4
    37.4 MB
  • 20220802_123251.jpg
    20220802_123251.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
HawaiiTime

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More picture's of my set up. The pic. of the tank's back side is older but it shows the overflow and return system with drilled holes and pvc. In case of power outage you need to make sure a gravity fed refugium doesn't overflow. That is why I have a small square acrylic catch basin as seen in photo.

Attachments

• First day with seahorse split tank.jpg
    First day with seahorse split tank.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220610_110714_HDR.jpg
    20220610_110714_HDR.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220802_123221.jpg
    20220802_123221.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 34
  • BB back side.jpg
    BB back side.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
HawaiiTime

HawaiiTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221020_114923.jpg
just thought I would add some pictures, because sharing is caring right...LOL

Attachments

• 20220610_110714_HDR.jpg
    20220610_110714_HDR.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220111_123249_HDR.jpg
    20220111_123249_HDR.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220614_152833.jpg
    20220614_152833.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220802_123221.jpg
    20220802_123221.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 40

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of corals you can keep with seahorses. No need to seperate them.

I wrote a little thing on it back in the day:

This is another amazing source for seahorses, and seahorse safe coral:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back