Sponge or tunicate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Besieged
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Besieged

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Messages
461
Reaction score
498
Location
Metro Atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure this is a sponge growing on the bottom of this favia frag?

20250521_224157.jpg

20250521_224140.jpg


If so, I'm okay with it.. but I have questions, and a problem:

How did it survive being removed from shipping water into open air, submerged for three minutes in Reef Primer, removed again, dipped in clean tank water, removed again and placed in the tank? Is this some exceptionally hardy species?

And, the big thing - this frag as a lot of GHA on it. I was going to put it in an H2O2 dip... but I guess I can't do that now if I want to save the sponge? Is there a way to safely remove it without killing it? Aside from wanting to dip the frag, I wasn't intending on leaving it in this spot in the tank much longer. I'd also just as well prefer to have the sponge living in my fuge, where it'll be safe from further changes in the display. Does anyone have a specific species ID that might help me find out more about it?
 
Sponge.

It's an old urban myth that all sponge exposed to air is a death sentence to said sponge.
It's a cool sponge. I would dip only the part infected with algae in a diluted hydrogen peroxide dip. Google diluted ratio.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new