Sponge with whiskers?

Gonzalex04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this GSP island that has had this brown sponge like blob on it. Its has a fairly large mouth in the front for filter feeding I assume and whiskers that seem to come out from inside it. Its rather hard but inflates larger at night. I dont mind it, but it seems to be growing quite large. When the GSP polyps extend you can't really see it. What is it and how can I remove it?
20230211_092439.jpg
20230211_092358.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this GSP island that has had this brown sponge like blob on it. Its has a fairly large mouth in the front for filter feeding I assume and whiskers that seem to come out from inside it. Its rather hard but inflates larger at night. I dont mind it, but it seems to be growing quite large. When the GSP polyps extend you can't really see it. What is it and how can I remove it?
I think you're right that it's a sponge - possibly a Tethya sp. sponge, as I've seen one that looks remarkably similar to this from Palau, but I can't be sure from the pics at this point (if the "whiskers" start sending out little, spiky, ball-like "flowers" on the tips, then it's a Tethya sp.).

Since you mention the GSP extending despite the sponge being there, you can rest assured that it is a harmless filter feeder (certain sponges contain toxins that combat corals for space - since your GSP is doing fine, this sponge is not one of those sponges)
(typically the big “mouths” on sponges are osculum - exhalant pores - and the little “mouths” are ostium - inhalant pores; water comes in through the ostium, gets filtered, then gets sent back out the osculum).
If you really want to remove it (which I personally wouldn't, but I do like sponges), it's in a pretty bad spot for removal, but you should be able to use a toothpick or something to just gently scrape it off. No guarantees the sponge wouldn't grow back unless you damaged the GSP getting it out though. If you do try to remove it, I'd would offer it to some local reefers, as that's a pretty cool sponge.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
G

Gonzalex04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick reply and insight. It isn't the most pleasant thing to look at, but doesn't really bother me. My concern forward is how big its going to get. If it gets too big Ill simply pull the entire rock and donate it. Ill keep an eye on it. Thanks again

Back