Sponge with worm??

TinnysReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2023
Messages
211
Reaction score
209
Location
Grand Forks
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

These started as little nubs on my algae scrubber and now have grown little feathers like feather dusters. They look like sponges with tiny feather worms inside.

Are they pests?? They only seem to be on the algae scrubber so I can remove easily if they are.

IMG_8035.jpeg IMG_8036.jpeg
 
Its a pineapple sponge, a pest. I would get rid of them asap, but some people love them. My concern is them taking over.
 
Pineapple sponges (genus Sycon) - they are harmless (arguably even beneficial) filter feeders; they're common in newer tanks, and they tend to boom then bust in population before going away on their own.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new