Sponges care?

Raygamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211013_203459.jpg

Hii, im planning to get this blue sponge for my future reef tank (ive had experience with keeping lps before but i just got back on reefing) and im planning to keep a species of nudibranch that eats these sponges, also not to mention they look cool. does anyone know how to care for sponges in general?

im planning to keep the nudibranch in a seperate tank and just sort of take a piece of the sponges off and feed em to the nudibranch

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate water flow and light and never expose to air/out of water

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around ten sponges in one of my tanks. They do not do well in a new tank. Feeding is difficult because they need extremely small food. Also, they must be fed several times a day. I stir my substrate at least once a day and they feed on the microfauna floating in the water. Too much light causes algae to grow on them and that smothers them.

OP
OP
R

Raygamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around ten sponges in one of my tanks. They do not do well in a new tank. Feeding is difficult because they need extremely small food. Also, they must be fed several times a day. I stir my substrate at least once a day and they feed on the microfauna floating in the water. Too much light causes algae to grow on them and that smothers them

ahh. im fine with wauting for the tank to mature up abit more. really want to try to do this so am abit dedicated. any other advice?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sponges need silicate. You can dose sodium silicate for that. Also known as water glass.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back