Spot Feeding Zooplankton

FindingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my corals Reef Roids and Zooplankton twice a week. I alternate weeks in feedings. Is this too much? I feel like broadcast feeding doesn’t really do much but maybe it’s just me.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my corals Reef Roids and Zooplankton twice a week. I alternate weeks in feedings. Is this too much? I feel like broadcast feeding doesn’t really do much but maybe it’s just me.
How do your corals look? Growth? What species? Broadcast will do something imo for SOME corals, but is it enough without spiking nutrients is the other question... IMO I would quit the zooplankton and go with live phytoplankton. Phyto gonna feed the existing zooplankton and there should already be enough of them. Have never dosed zooplankton....

Upvote 0

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is going to be dependent on wat type of corals you have, how many, etc. Are you nutrient levels climbing due to the dosing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FindingCoral

FindingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your corals look? Growth? What species? Broadcast will do something imo for SOME corals, but is it enough without spiking nutrients is the other question... IMO I would quit the zooplankton and go with live phytoplankton. Phyto gonna feed the existing zooplankton and there should already be enough of them. Have never dosed zooplankton....
Small long polyp leathers, orange Pavona, purple cap mdntipora and hammer. They look okay, the growth isn't the best. My nitrates are high so thats probably why. Trying to get a grip on those.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FindingCoral

FindingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be dependent on wat type of corals you have, how many, etc. Are you nutrient levels climbing due to the dosing?
My nitrates are at 40-50ppm. I've target fed before and lost a bunch the next day.....idk if im just doing too much or what. Kind of irritating.

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small long polyp leathers, orange Pavona, purple cap mdntipora and hammer. They look okay, the growth isn't the best. My nitrates are high so thats probably why. Trying to get a grip on those.
40-50 is IMO sky high...not admonishing you lol, it happens but we need to get those below 20. My softies tend to 'eat it up ' have you thought about adding one or two to your system? Yes by my eyes with fairly minimal info you are doing too much. Is the reef roids in a paste type form and DIRECTLY fed? If it isn't it's not being utilized and is floating around the tank.... Also what is your CUC and tank size? I'm thinking a lot of stuff is not getting eaten, a brittle star, or other scavenger will help with this....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My nitrates are at 40-50ppm. I've target fed before and lost a bunch the next day.....idk if im just doing too much or what. Kind of irritating.
When you target fed before and lost coral was it with Reef Roids and Zooplankton?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FindingCoral

FindingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you target fed before and lost coral was it with Reef Roids and Zooplankton?
BOTH! First I did reef roids and I’m pretty sure I just overfed them. The second time was zooplankton and my FAVIA, Stylocoenilla, Stylofora and Hammer died…I haven’t trusted Target feeding since..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FindingCoral

FindingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40-50 is IMO sky high...not admonishing you lol, it happens but we need to get those below 20. My softies tend to 'eat it up ' have you thought about adding one or two to your system? Yes by my eyes with fairly minimal info you are doing too much. Is the reef roids in a paste type form and DIRECTLY fed? If it isn't it's not being utilized and is floating around the tank.... Also what is your CUC and tank size? I'm thinking a lot of stuff is not getting eaten, a brittle star, or other scavenger will help with this....
For scavengers, I have 20 hermits, 2 turbo snails and 2 Emerald Crabs. The Emeralds are ticking me off though. They killed my Xenia and were picking at my Acros.

Upvote 0

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BOTH! First I did reef roids and I’m pretty sure I just overfed them. The second time was zooplankton and my FAVIA, Stylocoenilla, Stylofora and Hammer died…I haven’t trusted Target feeding since..
Did you have it mixed with tank water, clean saltwater, or rodi?

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day broadcast phyto and (Oyster eggs or marine snow or acropower or phytogold). Once a week after lights out meaty food, mysis to scoly, Lobo, goniastrea.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back