Spot treating GHA with peroxide

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few clumps of some pretty thick GHA that no one wants to eat. I have a bottle of 12% peroxide that I bought a while ago. I was going to turn the pumps off, then use a syringe/julian's thing to spot treat the GHA. I've seen videos where it starts bubbling, is that bad for the inhabitants?

Will the peroxide harm anything else if it inadvertently gets on it?

I was going to do this before a WC. My plan was to squirt the peroxide, wait until it stops bubbling, then use the hose to suck out whatever has loosened up.

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!
I've used peroxide before for algae issues. 12% is overkill and I wouldn't advise squirting it in your tank. I use a 3% solution that is super effective at killing GHA. I removed the rock and applied the 3% solution by spraying, using a paint brush, and applying directly. After 30 seconds; dipping rocks in saltwater rinse and returning to the tank. Algae disappeared after 2 weeks.
Some SPS corals (red dragon) can be very sensitive to peroxide after the "rinse and return" as I sadly found...so use with extreme caution...LOL.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a far better method here if the external approach can't be had is to drain the water down to expose the tufts, catch water for re use, wet the tufts directly with far less ml's of the 12%, let sit two mins, refill.

that w be safe for anything just shy of lysmata shrimp they can die from that. its tripling the impact on target while using far less bleed off 12% into the non target areas.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a far better method here if the external approach can't be had is to drain the water down to expose the tufts, catch water for re use, wet the tufts directly with far less ml's of the 12%, let sit two mins, refill.

that w be safe for anything just shy of lysmata shrimp they can die from that. its tripling the impact on target while using far less bleed off 12% into the non target areas.
Brandon,
My tank is a year old. I have some SPS and LPS corals that are growing (yay). I have four places with tuffs of green hair algae. With the SPS and LPS corals up higher in the tank, and the rockwork glued together, I can't take the rocks out and do not feel comfortable draining the tank to about 25% left in the tank to treat the GHA.
Any concerns using 3% peroxide in a syringe and putting 0.5ml on the algae?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usually ok to do so

lysmata shrimp are the risk there but not much else including the coral

you need to drill the tank to increase contact time, and find a diabetics syringe to inject it on target slowly this is ideal and precise

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back