Spouse bought corals for my just cycled tank…

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I’m getting back into the hobby after many years out with an IM 14g peninsula. I started a cycle of ~5lbs of Tropic Marin Morocco rock about 10 days ago with the brightwell dry rock cycle kit and 10 pounds of reef flakes live sand m, and added another ~7 pounds of KP aquatics wet live rock two days ago.

Ammonia is now zero with nitrites and nitrates present.

Plan was to add some pods, bring in an azure damselfish and let the tank run dark for a few months as is often advised. Well, my loving spouse was paying attention when I showed my excited 3 year old the various soft corals and LPS we could get eventually and must have heard me explain that the “tank had finished cycling and we could get corals soon”.

She went on eBay and won the auctions for a handful corals that arrive next week as a surprise. Fortunately, she is a good listener and they are all soft corals (ricordias, discosomas, a few zoas) and one chalice. In retrospect it’s partly my fault, as she is very familiar with my planted freshwater tanks where cycled = plants, shrimp and fish can all go in now.

What can I do between now and next Thursday to give my tank the best shot at handling the corals? All equipment is in place and I’m willing to add more pods, do daily water changes, etc if needed. From some additional research it seems like I might just be straight up ok and skipping any fish for now will probably help keep ammonia in check. Thanks so much.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are good to go. The 7 lb's of KP Aquatics live rock gives you an instant cycle and adds biodiversity. More pods wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't consider them absolutely necessary. Proceed with your normal routine as far as water changes go. Measure all your parameters and make sure you are at your desired levels and adjust if necessary.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I think you should be good, because corals are not affected as much as fish are in a cycling tank. Jake did a one day set up and left it, (if that is true). But he does have his masters degree.
For my personal preference I am not leave it dark kinda guy. And now you have no choice but to run your light/s. You have some KP live rock, that's a big help. buy a frag rack and keep your new corals on them. that way you can keep the algae in check by keeping them clean. I might put a fish in there to keep the bio-load going, because corals do not produce a bio-load.

OP
OP
R

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice and the reassurance. The frag rack is a great idea, should make things easier. I’ll test parameters daily and be ready for frequent water changes.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start by saying what a great wife you have!!

Second I don't think there is any real issue at all. I rarely wait more than a day or 2 to add coral(much before fish usually). I think the biggest issue if that dry rock goes through ugly stages it can be a bit more work to deal with if u got corals on it. New tanks also are more likely to have a Dino stage also which I guess is an extra risk. Again though my vote is not to worry and just thank the wife!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back