SPS (acros) best coloration: what elements do you add?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have read that Potassium can do a lot for certain colors...I think I'll track down a supplement and test kit for this and maybe Potassium iodide. I know it is in one of the additives I have been using in at least small amounts, but it's never a bad time to step my game up.
Its a nutrient, its good to test if your p and n are on the low side. Not really much data on potassium but some including myself will test for it. Guiesman acually just came out with a line of test kits including potassium that i want to try. The other standard would be salifert

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I had a tank crash a couple months ago (woke up to 30+ gallons on the floor as a result of a random tank leak), and luckily I was able to piece together a temporary setup so most coral and fish survived. However, my pods are another story, so I do need to restock. I do have some rock rubble and lots of chato.

Tank crashes suck. At least it was not a total loss. If you have anyone near you that is into reef tanks see if they have some caulerpa or chato to help restock things.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where could one find a good and reliable potassium test kit? I know salifert has one but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.
I dose Pohl's Xtra Special and Acropower daily. I also dose KZ Flatworm Stop, KZ Coral Vitalizer, Koral Kolor, Potassium and Strontium every other day.

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I just add a little periodically because I know I have a heavy bio load. I have my water tested by Triton Labs every 3 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefstacks

reefstacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where could one find a good and reliable potassium test kit? I know salifert has one but can't seem to find them anywhere.

I see a few different options on Amazon, I'm not sure about BRS or other reef supplies sites. I would guess that you may be hard pressed to find one at a LFS.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info!

OP
OP
reefstacks

reefstacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, good to know. I checked last night, and Red Sea Coral Pro salt is 390-410ppm at a 1.025 specific gravity (if I'm not mistaken...it's not in front of me now). As I understand, that is a good level to shoot for, but of course it will diminish once the new water is in the tank. Just thought that was good info.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Water Quality is a must...Chemical and Nutrient levels need to be there but remember the natural reef is measures very low in nutrients...To Much or just enough will cause an algae bloom...Export is Necessary.

On a side note: Costal Development causes large amounts of nutrients into the natural reef with less than desired consequences.

I'm skeptical on feeding as a Reef Tank is a Captive Reef Ecosystem and an established reef should provide enough micro fauna for SPS.

I would like to mention that the best SPS Reefs I've seen use 400 watt MH with T5...Or the LED Equivalent...PAR Levels above photoinhibition cause the sps to develop reflective pigments. Also this higher level of light will be reflected and enjoyed by parts of the coral that are directly shaded.

Personally I only monitor Alk and occasionally CA. Using a Tri Zonal Filtration method any algae is usually short lived and noted by a missing fish.

Bill

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have NoPox or some sort of carbon dosing regime, I'd suggest you get on that ASAP.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATS use an Oxydator for maximum O2, I feed 4 times a day, have a large bioload with lots of fish but all small. I make much of my own foods but I also feed a variety of frozen and powdered foods to which I add fish oils. I don't see any needed to add anything else as my corals are all colourful. I have 4 x AI Hydra 26s (not HDs) on my 100gallon 4'.6" reef tank.I also use a calcium reactor with good old course coral gravel which will also add trace elements. All look very well and I get lots of spawnings going on .I do add iodine once a week but see no reason to add anything else.

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20151127_122058.jpg
20151110_124237.jpg
20151106_192951.jpg
The key is Stable Parameters, Heavy Feeding, & HEAVY EXPORT OF NUTRIENTS....picture is before my rescape...NO CARBON, NO CARBON DOSING, just a fuge & skimmer....i feed frozen cyclops daily mixed with Flatwormstop

OP
OP
reefstacks

reefstacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have NoPox or some sort of carbon dosing regime, I'd suggest you get on that ASAP.

With nutrient levels already basically non-existant , what would be the goal of starting this? To allow for additional feeding and supplementation while keeping nutrients down?

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly , it will leave room for extra feeding of corals and/or fishies. It's really great at decreasing nitrates, that is if any nitrate levels are detectable. Personally, I cannot attest to what extent it keeps po4 in check because I also run gfo alongside.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back