SPS Bleached

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of new acros over the weekend. This tank has been setup for little over a year. As far as SPS goes I have a ORA red planet which is encrusting nicely, 2 different types of poccis which are not growing but haven't died in last 3 months, couple of monti caps which are doing fine. All zoas are doing fine.

This weekend I received a Paletta tri-color, Cali Tort, and a yellow tip acro from a local reefer. When I received the frags they all had nice colors with PE. But after I did a 10~15 minutes Bayer dip the tri-color and the yellow tip turned greyish, then complete white. I think the corals are bleached. The tank they came from ran T5, the small frag tank I have was running LED. Could it be the bayer? or was the light too intense on the LED? Is there anyway to revive them? Or are they gone? I can post pictures when I get home tonight.

Tank parameters are:

NO3: 3ppm
PO4: haven't tested in a while, I have some cyano on my sand, so guessing it's high
Cal: 420ppm
Alk: 9.8dKh
Sal: 1.026
Mg; haven't tested in a while

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, on the paletta tri-color I see hint of florescent on the polyp.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bayer should not have affected them. I dip all my corals and have not had it affect the color. Depending on what kind of lighting they came from could have done this. When getting new corals I always start them out on the bottom of the tank to let them get used to my lighting. After a week or two I then move them higher until I get them where I want them. If they are completely bleached I would put them on the sandbed. I have had many corals that were completely bleached recover, takes some time.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's usually what I do for light acclimation as well. This new frag tank is only 2 weeks old (with old live rock, and DT water), but a new light. I didn't think this LED would be this powerful. So any chance of them making it back? Or did I lose these frags?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still see some polyps, I would lower the frag and your light intensity depending on what you have it set at. I run my lights, radion g4's, at 55 % which maxes out at 37% on the program. If you have an acclimation program I'd use that to get it to where you want it.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to ask, what bayer did you use? there are a couple formulas. I bought the wrong one at Home Depot and thank goodness I caught it before I used it. Also what alk were the frags in? Yours is higher at 9.8, this could have caused an issue.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still see some polyps, I would lower the frag and your light intensity depending on what you have it set at. I run my lights, radion g4's, at 55 % which maxes out at 37% on the program. If you have an acclimation program I'd use that to get it to where you want it.
I run SBReeflight. It does not have an acclimation program. I have all three frags on the sand bed. One shows very little color of PE, one is totally white, the other one has some color on the frag.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to ask, what bayer did you use? there are a couple formulas. I bought the wrong one at Home Depot and thank goodness I caught it before I used it. Also what alk were the frags in? Yours is higher at 9.8, this could have caused an issue.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the ALK. I don't know for sure, but I think the guy I got the frags from run his ALK at 8dkh. I'll go home and check the Bayer type. My old one ran out so I got a new bottle.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are the three frags. Any chance of them surviving?
5893b6fdca59ab49954ba0f8af21ac71.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%

Back