SPS Burnt/receding tips

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently some of the tips on my sps have begun to receed. Most notably on a few of my acros and my setosa. During this I have also noticed a reduction in growth tips on other corals such as my forest fire digi or BOP birds nest along with a lack of yellow show in by bbgum digis.

Current Params:
Alk: 9.9
Cal:470
Mag:1440
Nitrate: 8.9
Phosphate: 0.08
Salinity: 36ppt
Salt Mix: AF Reef salt - just swtiched to IO RC but have not mixed a batch for a water change yet
Dosing: 4.5L kalkwasser, 10ml AFR
Tank size: 85g DT, 40g Sump
W/C schedule: 15g weekly

I have also been battling prorocentrum dinos for multiple months now and have been consistently dosing 20ml of MB7 daily along with 10ml of Live PhytoFeast twice daily. I currently have been dosing silicates on and off but have bought much more so I can begin dosing silicates consistantly.
My Alk Cal and Mag are high for my liking due to a tank crash about a month ago causing all three to spike, after drastically lowering dosing they have all been stable around these numbers. I have been working on lowering salinity after I accidentally raised it too high from a point of 34.5ppt.

Thank you for your help, photos are linked below. The majority of these corals are in the lower portion of my reef and under high flow.
1701107852345.png

1701107900160.png

1701107935562.png

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have never seen a fish nip at any coral. Just need some advice on what could be causing these burnt tips and recession? I think it may be the elevated elements but I’m not sure…

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acros get tips like that when I use GFO. Also, if you had a spike in alkalinity a month ago, corals might still be affected. I would keep things as stable as possible and cross my fingers.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instability the past month you referenced is the reason your SPS are showing decline. As mentioned above keep things stable and cross fingers. You can always snip off a branch if it is failing so the problem might not spread to the entire coral. I have done this with success.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back