SPS Color/Feeding/Nutrients

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS are pale due to lack of proteins available in the water. I have had two fish (3" Leopard Wrasse; 1" Green Chromis) for several months and fed a pinch of spirulina flakes a day. (I had been neglecting the tank a bit due to some things in life)

I recently started stocking again and added a kole tang.

I am wanting to start feeding some DIY oyster feast at least two - three times weekly. I am also interested in some of these zeo supplements (pocci glow, sponge power, coral vitalizer, etc.) to boost my coral's color now and in the future.

My N03 is 0. My P04 is .08 since my GFO had not been online for a while (I will be bringing this down).

My concern is that the foods and zeo will raise N03 and P04 too much. So I am considering carbon dosing to counter balance it. Which leaves me in a chicken or egg scenario. Start food first? Start Carbon dosing first? Start both at same time? Do I even need to carbon dose?

Thanks. :yo:

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt carbon dose yet. My current tank has been running for over 5 years now. I feed heavy, 2-3 times daily, pellets and frozen. My nitrates are <0.02 per salifert, and PHO4 i control with GFO to keep below 0.06 per hanna photometer. My tank is 80% SPS with zoas, LPS and gorgonias.

I wouldnt even consider carbon dosing unless the above gets out of hand.

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaman, u running a skimmer? I'm running a large skimmer on my 40 breeder and wonder if its pulling to much out the water.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt carbon dose yet. My current tank has been running for over 5 years now. I feed heavy, 2-3 times daily, pellets and frozen. My nitrates are <0.02 per salifert, and PHO4 i control with GFO to keep below 0.06 per hanna photometer. My tank is 80% SPS with zoas, LPS and gorgonias.

I wouldnt even consider carbon dosing unless the above gets out of hand.

Aha! The answer to the chicken/egg conundrum. Nutrients, then vodka. Thanks man. ;)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back