SPS Coral turned white

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nat Cove
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nat Cove

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 13, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Jacksonville, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Oregon Tort coral frag that started its first 2 weeks full of blue/purple color, then one day I changed the setting on my light to lower intensity but I mistakenly left that light on for 24 hours and now my Oregon Tort is completely white. I was told it could be from too little light and I was also told it could be from too much light, so now I dont know what to do should I bring back hi intensity light or should I let it rest without light for a while. Here is a picture of before and after:
ec0935a5-e2e5-4781-a70e-794ebd4a6f73.jpeg
20250622_194957.jpg




sorry didnt see how to shrink the picture
 
Completely white means it’s either bleached or dead. If you don’t see any polyps then it’s dead. In my opinion your coral looks dead.

If it’s not dead you want to move it to lower light.

SPS corals turn white from bleaching which can be caused by too intense lighting or swinging parameters…usually alk.
 
She's dead Jim.

Sorry for your loss, they are beautiful and very slow Growers. Most likely because the light was on for so long it had no rest period.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new