SPS corals with amazing "glow" under actinics

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pink Floyd. It’s super bright even under t5.
Same t5 daylight photo right here
8B1D8A79-C2B7-4D64-89B1-0B0EFD8ABBA8.jpeg

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WD, Pink Lemonade, Bali shortcakes, SSC stand out really well, ASD Rainbow too

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my own experience I have also seen a big difference between blue LEDs. Aquatic Life in New Canaan, CT uses an Aquatic Life Hybrid with LEDs (I forget the type) on their frag tank display, but the point is I have several of the same corals both zoas and SPS that in my tank glow well, but in their display not so much. I have an ATI Powermodule and in the evenings I run just the blue LEDs. I will try to get a picture tonight.

I'm interested in this thread because I'd like to find some yellow and/or green zoas to add.

I also agree with the inexpensive coral comment. The nicest looking colony in my tank under LEDs only is good 'ole hardy orange digitata. The colony simply glows like crazy.

Stop by Life Aquatic again and look for the Yellow Brick Road zoanthid. They pop pretty well under the radions and will look smoking hot under your Powermodule. (Just not this weekend 'cause we're all going to MACNA!)

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a yellow millepora, that looked like a highlighter.
But in my tank it turned orange over time.
Still nice though.

J.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop by Life Aquatic again and look for the Yellow Brick Road zoanthid. They pop pretty well under the radions and will look smoking hot under your Powermodule. (Just not this weekend 'cause we're all going to MACNA!)

Hey Scott,

I reread my post, and I am so sorry for the way it sounded. To me I think it came across as saying somehow I didn't like the LA LEDs, but that wasn't what I meant at all. I just wanted to agree with the sentiment that different LEDs "pop" different corals in a different way. Life Aquatic definitely has some "pop" in their tanks or I wouldn't have bought what I did :D

Cheers,

Joe

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,

I reread my post, and I am so sorry for the way it sounded. To me I think it came across as saying somehow I didn't like the LA LEDs, but that wasn't what I meant at all. I just wanted to agree with the sentiment that different LEDs "pop" different corals in a different way. Life Aquatic definitely has some "pop" in their tanks or I wouldn't have bought what I did :D

Cheers,

Joe

No worries at all Joe! We were at MACNA this weekend and I spent a lot of time staring at the very same acros I own -- and stare at -- under my hybrid lights. They look so much better under the usual frag sale "hard blues" running radions, and reefbrites.

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried and tried and tried for years to get that "Glow" from my corals. All sorts of T5 combinations and even bought some "Blue" Led's to enhance the pop. I could get a pretty cool look at night, it was neat but not mind blowing and never really blew me away.

I got a PM one day from another user and it was a game changer. Nothing in my years of experience has ever done what this can do. Nothing made a quicker impact on the way my corals looked and how they colored up in a rather short period of time. The cost was out of my budget but I saved and I can't tell you have glad I am that I did. You want to enjoy corals at night..... Get one of these in blue only http://www.reefbrite.com/product/xho/ EDD83DCE-8A4F-4117-8219-2A9626EFE196.jpeg 9AFA286F-C2FF-4802-98E6-DB21D237C589.jpeg
Your tank is so cool. Do you mind sharing what the name of the red coral is with the long tentacles and which reef brite option light you went with? 50/50 or actinic blue. Do you run any other lights with the reef brite?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cc Walt Disney Jr
i knew that looked familiar. sorry to bother you again, but can i ask what par youre running that at? I would really really love to get one, it might be my fav acro (under $200) and i would love to get it. but my highest par is on the tallest rock, and i only get about 200 right there.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i knew that looked familiar. sorry to bother you again, but can i ask what par youre running that at? I would really really love to get one, it might be my fav acro (under $200) and i would love to get it. but my highest par is on the tallest rock, and i only get about 200 right there.
That was 5 years ago but it did amazing around 400 par. I hate to bum you out but acros won’t do well over a long period of time if you’re only getting 200 par. They won’t immediately parish. They’ll probably even thrive for the first 6 months or so but as they grow they will shade themselves and the base will start to die off. You might want to upgrade your lights before buying Tenuis.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was 5 years ago but it did amazing around 400 par. I hate to bum you out but acros won’t do well over a long period of time if you’re only getting 200 par. They won’t immediately parish. They’ll probably even thrive for the first 6 months or so but as they grow they will shade themselves and the base will start to die off. You might want to upgrade your lights before buying Tenuis.
i have really good lights, radeons and a strip light quanta pros, they are so strong i had to turn them down to 50%. i could easily hit 400 par but it would bleach all my lps.... my tank is full of torches and hammers and zoas. i was scared it would be too much for them. hmmm.....
well thanks for input ill have to think about this.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have really good lights, radeons and a strip light quanta pros, they are so strong i had to turn them down to 50%. i could easily hit 400 par but it would bleach all my lps.... my tank is full of torches and hammers and zoas. i was scared it would be too much for them. hmmm.....
well thanks for input ill have to think about this.
What generation radions do you have?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back