SPS crashing

Chad_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started carbon dosing and adjusting phosphates over the past month or two as my NO3 have been between 25-50ppm and PO4 around .1-.2. However, within the last two weeks I’m literally losing SPS daily. These are all frags and some I’ve had for months.

Is carbon dosing my issue? NO3 is still locked on 25ppm while dosing 50ml of vinegar/day. My phosphates did bounce around a little bit between .02 and as high as .4 with GFO. But for the past 2 weeks PO4 has been between .02 and .1.

I’m going to stay the course with carbon dosing since I’d like to get NO3 down and get back to mostly SPS. Just frustrating seeing a new frag each day RTN. I have 1 gig, haddoni and a mag anemone that are all doing well. The few LPS that I have are fine as well.

Alk has swung a bit between 7.5 and 8.5 but I have tried to keep any swing less than 1 dkh.

Is it my swings in alk and/or PO4? I’m guessing that’s it, or I’ve got some bacteria in there that’s going after acros.

Or I just quit chasing numbers messing with NO3 and PO4 and let it ride. Didn’t have issues but I could grow SPS before all this.

Also, I have an ICP test on the way to see if something else is going on.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be you are dropping no3 to fast and is the alk swing of 1.0 in a day. I just started carbon dosing and I am doing it slow. I went from no3 at 25 to 2 in about 3 weeks. Did not effect corals at all.

OP
OP
C

Chad_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just unplugged my doser for the vinegar. Done messing with this going to just manage PO4 when needed and manage NO3 through water changes and skimming. Too many headaches between trying this and NoPox.

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen when I started chasing number with nitrates/phosphates. I started dosing nopox and both dropped fairly rapidly and things started rtn’ingz
Did things not look ok before you started carbon dosing? Sps need stability.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They looked fine, coloration wasn’t great but saw growth. Kicking myself for chasing numbers now.
I did the same thing. Wasted a bunch of money. I should of put it all on the Rams. Hey Ohhhh!!!!!

Too Soon???

I think we all see these beautiful/colorful acro frags and expect them to look like that when they start growing, but those frags were the tips, the most vibrantly colored part. That’s going to transition to its base for awhile until new branches and tips start to grow, which takes a loooooong time. So what do we do??? We freak the $&@? out. We start asking, “why are my acros brown, why are my acros colors changing” etc. Then our community answers
“Your po4 is too high, you should run gfo, dose vodka, run your skimmer wet” blah, blah, blah

Do I need to continue this long winded rant or do you see where I’m going?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just unplugged my doser for the vinegar. Done messing with this going to just manage PO4 when needed and manage NO3 through water changes and skimming. Too many headaches between trying this and NoPox.
I think that’s a good idea

OP
OP
C

Chad_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen when I started chasing number with nitrates/phosphates. I started dosing nopox and both dropped fairly rapidly and things started rtn’ingz
Did things not look ok before you started carbon dosing? Sps need stability.

Things were ok, I had growth just not the coloration. Keep in mind these were all frags i started chasing numbers and that’s when things went to hell. Lost my stability.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per my personal experience the PO4 swing should be the main culprit and some times the “effect” takes some time to appear. Sps need stability and it’s not a 1-2 weeks stability, it’s lot more for them to thrive.
Of course we all had corals that have sustained instability and they are ok or even full recovery, but for me that’s the exception... and takes time.

OP
OP
C

Chad_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thought and maybe it’s nothing. I’m using reflective tape on my top brace all around the top to protect from my MH light and heat. It’s made out of 1 mil aluminized material.

Any chance that’s leaching in my water? It gets wet and I slide my cover over it.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back