SPS die off

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back in last June i think it was, i moved, and of course moved the tank to my new home. since then, it seems like there is a slow die off of SPS. for a while, everything was good, but within the last couple months, ive had many types of SPS die off, including a montipora digitata which seemed to have handled any range of parameters that i had (high nutrients or low nutrients). in the meantime, my LPS and zoas are doing fine for the most part. ive had some zoas that have melted away since the move happened, but on the same token, ive had some that ive had for years that stayed with only 2 polyps, and have since started expanding exponentially, so im not sure i attribute the issue that the SPS are having, to the zoas. i think it just has to do with changes in the scape, and their locations.

parameters are stable. i do dose alk and calcium, but its very little throughout the whole day.

salinity-35
alk 7.4 (steady within .2 throughout the day).
cal 438
mag 1308
PO .2
nitrate 13.4
PH 8.2-8.3 through the course of 24 hours

nothing has changed, other than the scape of course, so most of the zoas are in areas that have had flow changes, but the sps should have the same flow that they had before the move. The biggest change from them to now is the RODI thats being used. and, this is where im suspecting the issue, which im waiting on an ICP test to see if the water is the issue. before the move, i just bought water from the LFS. since then, the store changed ownership so i cant get water anymore, and have resorted to making my own RODI. i have changed filters and resin. perhaps the water is so bad (city water) that i need more than a 4 stage system, but my suspision is that it probably isnt, unless the RODI system, with new filters and resin, just isnt working. and that is probably not likely, but im still open to accepting that it is.

previously, ive had phosphate at .2 on another tank, and my softies didnt really like it. i havent seen .2 in this tank up until now, and looking at my apex readings, when it started happening, i was around .09, and then there is steady increase. a month later it was .15, and now were at .2, so no huge jump but an increase, that i suspect might be a part of it, but at the same time, there will likely be replies of people tha thave had it that high without issue.

another thing i will be checking shortly, is the TDS of the RODI. i will be doing that here in a few minutes, and will get back with that.

thoughts, or suggestions?

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How high would you suggest, or even better, is there a chart out there somewhere that gives a good ballpark as to alk levels comparative to nutrient levels?
i don't believe there is a comparable chart (i could be wrong..), but the higher amount of nutrients you have, the higher ALK should be. i would guess that with that level of no3/po4 you can have ALK at 8-8.5(which is where most keep it anyways). it could also be that your PH is at a level that your corals can't keep up with (higher PH promotes faster growth in stony corals), so perhaps as you dose ALK it is being consumed, giving you the same reading (within .2)

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i guess my concern is going to be, because i want to lower my PO anyway to .1 or so, in doing that, i assume the 8-8.5 should be a good range, regardless of where the nutrients are, within reason of course. my goal for nutrients has always been around .1 PO and 10 nitrate, give or take a little.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
well, i guess my concern is going to be, because i want to lower my PO anyway to .1 or so, in doing that, i assume the 8-8.5 should be a good range, regardless of where the nutrients are, within reason of course. my goal for nutrients has always been around .1 PO and 10 nitrate, give or take a little.
each tank is different, so you'll have to monitor and adjust accordingly to what your specific tank likes. the true challenge of keeping a reef :)

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a correction to my OP. the alk is 8.6.

I did do a TDS check on my RODI, and it currently shows as 1. Seems a little odd because it seems like i just changed the filters and everything within the last month or so. my tap water TDS is 157 before RODI. TDS is obviously not good, but a 1 TDS, i would hope, wouldnt kill off everything.

Also to mention, the systems i use to check things, obviously is my apex, but i double check them all with Hanna

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back