Sps dominated 20 gal equipment recommendations?

SpencerT82

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2021
Messages
109
Reaction score
29
Location
lithia
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m getting a 20 gallon cube from waterbox and just have a few questions since I’ve only ever had one nano tank and it was my first ever tank that I not longer have. Plans for the tank is 90% sps.

First off for my light I’m going with a radion. I’ve never had a Radion before and honestly I just don’t like my hydras so I’m going to try a Radion light. I’m stuck between the xr15 and a xr30. The tank dimensions are 17.7x17.7x15.7 LxWxH. Which one would you recommend for this tank being 90% sps and feel free to chime in on blue or pro I’m still open to both. In the future I was also thinking about adding some reef brites or ai blades for supplemental lighting in between corals so keep that in mind.

And secondly for other equipment I was looking at one of the reef n rolls filter rollers because I have a filter roller on my 112g and it’s a dream no more filter socks for me. But other than that for a 20 gal 90% sps what other equipment would you recommend such as a skimmer or if, excluding dosing and flow I already have that planed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Forget the AI blades, you can get the Orphek led strips for the same price with better spectrum (I bought AI blades and it's been underwhelming). Go for the xr30 since you can easily set your spectrum intensity lower and ramp it up higher depending on your SPS (better than buying an additional xr15 later on too). Anything to automate or monitor your Alk, Cal and Mag is ideal (Trident, etc) is recommended since you need to be on top of those.
 
Xr15 will work well on that size tank.
I ran 2 16hds on my 18" nano cube with great results. Nothing else needed.
I used a small basket with floss.
No need for a filter roller, imo.
Simple and easy. I dosed esv daily by hand.
Day one till 10 months before I took it down.
20220926_094502.jpg
 
Hey guys I’m getting a 20 gallon cube from waterbox and just have a few questions since I’ve only ever had one nano tank and it was my first ever tank that I not longer have. Plans for the tank is 90% sps.

First off for my light I’m going with a radion. I’ve never had a Radion before and honestly I just don’t like my hydras so I’m going to try a Radion light. I’m stuck between the xr15 and a xr30. The tank dimensions are 17.7x17.7x15.7 LxWxH. Which one would you recommend for this tank being 90% sps and feel free to chime in on blue or pro I’m still open to both. In the future I was also thinking about adding some reef brites or ai blades for supplemental lighting in between corals so keep that in mind.

And secondly for other equipment I was looking at one of the reef n rolls filter rollers because I have a filter roller on my 112g and it’s a dream no more filter socks for me. But other than that for a 20 gal 90% sps what other equipment would you recommend such as a skimmer or if, excluding dosing and flow I already have that planed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Don’t know if you bought anything already but I have an g5 xr15 with the high intensity puck and I can get 400-500 par 6 inches down turned all th way up and I get about 150-200 in the bottom corners of the tank. I have the same dimension cube as you and am planning on doing majority sps as well. Currently have a maxspect xf130 gyre in my tank and struggling to get flow down properly. I also have two tunze 6045’s I may try as well
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new