SPS HELP AND ADVICE VERY MUCH WANTED

Redlaxer2022

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Trying to get into the SPS game and just learn that side of the hobby. I’ve been super successful in LPS and softies but I really want to change it up with some cool acros and fun stuff! I would love any and all advice for what I could do to even start to be successful thank you:)
 
Prepare your tank for a lot more flow, location of your LPS and softies will def play a part in how much flow you can create. There are a lot of easy SPS that can tolerate lower flow systems but more difficult sps like acros or even larger easier colonies of sps will need the flow for health. They require a lot more light and need a tighter threshold on your major elements as well as nutrients. Be sure your lighting can handle the necessary amount that you will need for SPS. Leave any new frags in a good spot to acclimate and then move them to a permanent location and don't move them after that. Do your research on an frag you get and what that specific one requires. The better informed you are about that species the more success you will have. Enjoy the ride, good luck!
.
IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_4999.jpeg
 
When I decided I wanted to try acros I decided to set up a new tank. I wanted to be able to provide for a acros and not have to try and keep lps and softies happy also. Flow and light have been the most important things for me. My first tank was 36x22x22" and had 6 power heads and two photon 32s for light. My N and P has always been low and I dose ammonium and diy PO4 to keep them detectable. I keep things pretty simple and test alk, nitrate, and phos weekly and calcium every few months. I dose AFR to maintain alk and calcium and it's also supposed to keep trace elements in line from what I've read but I've never done an ICP so I don't know if that's true or not. I just moved into a new tank after three years and things look pretty good I think. My first coral in when I started was battle box of stags. I try not to buy fresh cut pieces because they've done poorly for me so I look for frags that are encrusting so I know they started growing after being but. I Don't have high end pieces.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new