Sps help

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I’ve been doing pretty well with SPS so far. Things have been growing and are happy.

I got a few pieces from a friend, they were open and happy when they were in his tank. They don’t seem happy at all in my tank, wanted to see if there’s anything I can do. It’s been about 8 days since I’ve gotten them. Pics below

Perimeters:
Alk: 9.8
Ca: 440
Mg: 1400
Phosphate: 10ppb
Nitrate: 2ppm

Running Kessil AP700. I’ve had them towards the top in high flow, moved them down, not sure what else to try now.
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG

Last edited:

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to give them time to relax. They are stressed out from being in your friends tank and then transported and put in your tank and then moved and then moved again. Just put them in one place and leave them. Plus don’t try to expose them to higher light intensity than they were in when in your friends tank. Also, did you acclimate them before placing them in your tank? Other than full polyp extension, they don’t look too bad. No tissue necrosis, white band disease or bleaching which is a good thing!
Again, leave them alone they will respond or let you know that the lighting or flow or water parameters are an issue, but you won’t know if you keep moving them so often.
Good luck...

OP
OP
twerdine92

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to give them time to relax. They are stressed out from being in your friends tank and then transported and put in your tank and then moved and then moved again. Just put them in one place and leave them. Plus don’t try to expose them to higher light intensity than they were in when in your friends tank. Also, did you acclimate them before placing them in your tank? Other than full polyp extension, they don’t look too bad. No tissue necrosis, white band disease or bleaching which is a good thing!
Again, leave them alone they will respond or let you know that the lighting or flow or water parameters are an issue, but you won’t know if you keep moving them so often.
Good luck...

Thank you! It’s still not doing super well. I’ve seen some extension at night and early in the morning.
IMG_4438.JPG

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that acro in the front center is still alive? It looks like its toast and has algae growing on it now. Any chance you know the params of the tank they came out of? Same lighting as yours? Have you had any swings lately? Specifically alk.

OP
OP
twerdine92

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see polyp extension at night time.

Came out of a tank with very similar parameters to mine. No alk swings in my tank.

Similar lighting to mine.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last pic looks bad, hopefully algae doesn't grow on it and it still has flesh. What did you dip with? They look like the flesh is very thin, not sure what else would cause that in such a short amount of time.

OP
OP
twerdine92

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done iodine dips with other stuff, can it hurt with an acro? Thinking about trying it

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they in transit to your tank?

I hate to say it but based on the info you provided, there prob isn’t going to be a high confidence, data driven answer given that the rest of your SPS sound like they’re fine.

If more start going down hill, especially other acros that you had prior to these frags I would get a mail order test done.

If not, maybe get a replacement frag and call it a day. Whenever I go diving and look around, that seems like what the ocean does. Boneyard of frags that didn’t make it surrounded by frags that did.JMO

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk seems high for nutrients that low. Do you run gfo, nopox, or other carbon dosing to keep your nutrients that low?

OP
OP
twerdine92

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they in transit to your tank?

I hate to say it but based on the info you provided, there prob isn’t going to be a high confidence, data driven answer given that the rest of your SPS sound like they’re fine.

If more start going down hill, especially other acros that you had prior to these frags I would get a mail order test done.

If not, maybe get a replacement frag and call it a day. Whenever I go diving and look around, that seems like what the ocean does. Boneyard of frags that didn’t make it surrounded by frags that did.JMO

They were in transit about 4 hours. Picked up, made 2 stops, and got home.

Everything else is fine! I just picked up a ORA Green Planet acro today, within 25 minutes in my tank it was fully extended and seemed happy. Same with the Sunset Monti I added today. The other acro is doing well that I got from him.

I guess it’s just the luck of the draw!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back