Sps help

Oldss72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I am looking for help - I have a 120 gallon tank - and in the past week my 1 sps and both of my cyphastria have started to look rough. I believe it might be due to low nutriants - but I am looking for suggestions. Birdsnest coral looks good btw.

I did a 35 gallon water change a few days ago - but no change. Also - the acapora has been getting what I thing is cyano growing on it daily. I blow it off with a turkey baster - but it comes back. Areas not covered have polyp extenaion - but it looks like the color is fading somewhat.

Last test was nitrates : 2ppm, phosphate .02. Mg 1180, alk 9dkh. Calcium 420, ph 8.2. Temp 79.9. Red sea test kit - except for phosphate hanna checker. Everything else looks great. Looking for help. No Other cyano in the tank.

I did turn off my gfo reactor and slowed my vinegar dosing - though it hasnt changed in months. My nitrates used to be a solid 5 - now they are lower but not 0.

20220505_183558.jpg

Tony the Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aim for Phosphates about .05-.1 and Nitrates 8-10. But a Hanna nitrate checker. Have you taken a PAR reading? Tank looks deep, where are the sps located?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
dose this

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the par level is where the sps are located?

I'd recommend feeding some dissolved foods such as reef energy, fuel, AF energy, or similar. These work well for uln tanks.

OP
OP
O

Oldss72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies - I have not been aiming to lower my nitrates and phosphates so much - It just seems to have happened. I do feed reef chili - And phyto every other day.

I dont know the par - but the few sps pieces are near the top. The pieces have been in the tank for about 3 months and prior to this have looked really good. They are really my first attempt at sps - but the tank has been around for a years.

Seems that you all are agreeing my nitrates and phosphates being low might be to blame? I will see if I can increase them somewhat - I have never had this problem before - for years my nitrates were 25 or so and the tank was all softies.

Tony the Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 good products are esv nitrate and seachem flourish. I'm not a fan of dosing unknown stuff ( Magic Elixers) into the tank

OP
OP
O

Oldss72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I re tested everything this morning before work. Upon returning home there is cyano on the one piece again - and no where else.

Nitrates - 2
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.5
Calcium 420
Mg 1320
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate - 0.04.

Everything seems ok to me - what am I missing? Cleaning powerheads tonight to see if I can increase the flow and re aim them.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I re tested everything this morning before work. Upon returning home there is cyano on the one piece again - and no where else.

Nitrates - 2
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.5
Calcium 420
Mg 1320
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate - 0.04.

Everything seems ok to me - what am I missing? Cleaning powerheads tonight to see if I can increase the flow and re aim them.
Everything looks good except for lower nutrients .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back