SPS ID No one seems to know

TarHeelReefer22

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
482
Reaction score
6
Location
Wilmington, North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0190.jpg
thanks for any help no mods to the pic just as it is in tank
 
Not a great pic to go by but looks like a hydnophora grandis
That was a macro shot thought you might be able to tell from that here is the whole frag i didn't know Hydonphoras came in a purple color variant first color is my standard hydnophora the second is the frag in question. aside from the tenticles/polyp extensions i see no similarities.
DSC_0140.jpg
DSC_0191.jpg
 
It's either a hydnophora or a stylo...looks like a stylo. Yes, hydnophora can be bluish. If it has sweepers it's a hydno.
 
Looks like a pavona/ cactus coral or even a psammacora.
+1 I would say based on this links photo and synopsis of the auther he/she seems fimiliar, it looks to be a pavona/ cactus coral.
Check it out and you be the judge Cactus CoralReef keeping made simple
I can't say certainly because I'm not fimiliar with this coral but I hope it helps!!!
 
There is similarities with the Pavona as well is there any distinct way to tell the difference this isn't the smallest of frags but far from being a nice colony. I have already accidentally fraged a branch and it encrusted quickly and the colony started growing a new branch fast as well.
 
I now agree with cactus coral, the following photo taken from one of the provided links pretty much sums it up

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384578600.223944.jpg


It doesn't look like a psammacora to me at all...polyps are totally different.
 
Last edited:
my guess is psammacora, looks just like a purple version of my ora kelly green psammacora.. the pointy little polyps on the skin look identicle..
 
Last edited:
Colony shape looks like Psammacora or Stylophora not sure about Pavona without clear macro picture with polyps retracted. One easy way to distinguish Pavona is it will have distinct hour-glass shape to its coralite pattern. Couple old pics below, will see if I can get some better ones here shortly.

Cheers, Todd

Pavona cactus

Psammacora
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new