SPS id

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2018
Messages
80
Reaction score
64
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this ugly duckling for cheap. It only had one polyp and was pretty much a goner. It now has recovered but I have never seen anything quite like it online.
20181231_181831.jpeg
20181231_182036.jpeg
 
Are leather corals hard? I mean the coral is dark purple and hard like an SPS. But is super smooth when the polyps are retracted. If leathers have a calcium structure than that would make sense. I have never had a leather so I have no idea.
 
If it looks like a leathers polyps then it is a blue ridge coral. Not technically an SPS but still is considered one. Check out Heliopora Coerulia.
 
It looks just like the blue ridge coral that's listed on tidal gardens. It originally even had the white tip. I Didn't really care for this oddball originally but now that it's filled out and randomly has full extension or no extension I find it interesting.
heliopora-blue-ridge-2.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new