SPS issue..

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bwow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bwow

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2022
Messages
27
Reaction score
12
Location
alberta
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm at a loss here at what could be causing this..

The past few weeks my SPS have been peeling off.. Literally within a few days they're gone..

My torches are fine, my hammers are good.. Zoas not a problem..

I've done a water change and no success.

Alk has been steady around 10.11-10.23
Calcium steady around 418-425
Magnesium doesn't move from 1440 to 1460..
Salinity as 35ppt as per apex..

No3 between 8.8 and 10.2
Po4 beet 0.03 and 0.1

I dose nopox and red sea ab+, and reefroids..

Any input is appreciated as I've never had this happen before..

Pic included for idea..

PXL_20241124_172736326.jpg
 
Hmm, numbers look good. Any flow changes recently. Also how confident are you in the salinity measurement? Are they peeling from the base, tips, shaded spots?
 
Hmm, numbers look good. Any flow changes recently. Also how confident are you in the salinity measurement? Are they peeling from the base, tips, shaded spots?
I measured salinity with refractometer and apex probe.
It's peeling from both base and branches.
How old is your tank? I'd lower your alk to around 8.0.
2 years.. Always had it at 10ish but will try lowering it to 9.. And then 8..

PXL_20241124_174850232.MP.jpg
 
Last edited:
10ish alk seems fine considering you have enough nutrients, and assuming you have enough flow. Tip burn usually indicates high alk and lack of nutrients, or blasting flow. Base peeling usually indicates low phosphates or pests.

Assuming flow is good and tests are correct, maybe a bacterial issue?
 
I'm leaning that way too as everything else is fine - I'll try lowering alk a bit, and see if I can spot any changes... Appreciate the help
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new