SPS LOSING COLOR AND DYING

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All and Happy 4th of July,
I have been using Live Aquaria pro salt mix for the last couple years withot and real problems. This past week I received a new bucket so did the usual roll the bucket and flip to make sure salt was good and mixed up so I could do a water change. I keep my Alk at 8 to 8.5 and this salt measured 8.9 24hrs later before water change. I did a water change and now I have lost a couple across I have been growing out in frag tank for months and now they are bleached out. Parameters are Alk 8.9, mag 1500, calc 440, Po4 .06 and nitrate 5. Using Salifert for mag and calcium and Hanna for phosphate and alkalinity. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks CJ

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is because I recently found out my refractometer was off by 0.003 which is a big deal for my system. After re-calibration, I was able to understand why some of my corals looked off. Thankfully I caught it in time to make slow adjustments. Lost one milli, though.

Double check the refractometer just in case that was used. Good luck and hope you find the issue.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference. I did my weekly testing today and got the following:

Salinity = 1.026
Alk = 10.5
Ca = 410
Mg = 1500
NO3 = 5

I have acros in my system, but my heliopora was my indicator coral when something was wrong.

OP
OP
T

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I hope so to. I just bought a trident to help keep track of Alk as I am sure that is going to be the issue with the sudden change after the water change as it bleached a red cap in another tank I started awhile back.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what lighting is on your tank?

OP
OP
T

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean revive L.E.D's. They have been on there for close to 2 yrs without issues. Other across look alright and zoas look great. Just can't figure it out and it's driving me up a wall. I do dose tropic Marin 3 part balling but stopped till Alk comes down.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All and Happy 4th of July,
I have been using Live Aquaria pro salt mix for the last couple years withot and real problems. This past week I received a new bucket so did the usual roll the bucket and flip to make sure salt was good and mixed up so I could do a water change. I keep my Alk at 8 to 8.5 and this salt measured 8.9 24hrs later before water change. I did a water change and now I have lost a couple across I have been growing out in frag tank for months and now they are bleached out. Parameters are Alk 8.9, mag 1500, calc 440, Po4 .06 and nitrate 5. Using Salifert for mag and calcium and Hanna for phosphate and alkalinity. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks CJ
Sounds like you got a bad (contaminated) batch of salt or your source water is bad.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back