G

arco started doing badly​

UNWATCH
G

gstene

New Member​

Review score +0 /0 /-0

Hello Reef2reef community,

I'm trying to figure out why my sps started tanking a bit over the last 4-5 days in my 29g 30" long. my purple polyps are retracting for the first time, acros are turning a bright white color, and even a green neon leather isn't extending. I dose kalkw over night for the past 6 months, use RODI water from LFS, water changes 2 times a month or so. All invertabrates are healthy and happy and so are the fish.

What I've done lately: I I dosed reef flux at 5 tablets for 40g of water 2 weeks ago. Also I dosed 50ml of brightw mag p just about a week ago (I added this right before the problems but I've used this before with out issue). Lastly, I had 5 fish (clown, blenny, pajama, banggai, and dragonnet), but then I added 5 blue/green chromis all at the same time - right around when the problem started, cause a small ammonium spike and upsetting sps?

Just did a Waterlink Spin Touch FF test at LFS today and shows all perimeters fine - which is super weird..
alk - 193
ph 8.6
phos .1
ca 380
mg 1637
amno .2(weird, but its showed this every time I've gotten a test there for the last 4 months. SPS has been fine up until a few days ago)
nitrite .1
nitrate 11

Any ideas what could be happening?

thank you

20230508_075508.jpg 20230507_112334.jpg 20230507_112314.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish in a 29 gallon is overstocked IMO, more fish means more food and more fish poop, you should keep a close eye on water parameters.

Also, any change in alk or sharp increase in phosphate will kill or damage some sps (and lps)

OP
OP
G

gstene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish in a 29 gallon is overstocked IMO, more fish means more food and more fish poop, you should keep a close eye on water parameters.

Also, any change in alk or sharp increase in phosphate will kill or damage some sps (and lps)
I hear ya, bu5 I got lots of rock, sand, and bio media. The weird thing is all the water parameters are fine though.. thanks

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why 5 tabs of fluconazole?
200g per 10 gallon should have been 4 tabs. Assuming you have a sump on the 29 gallon display. That's 25% overdose.

Edit: I think you upset your balance.
GHA dying (not removing ammonia anymore) and adding 5 fish(adding ammonia producers). Your tank may have gotten overwhelmed. IMO.

When I'm dosing, I don't do anything else, period.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5blue green chromis in a 29 is too much let alone the other fish you have in there. Your stocking list was pushing it for 29 before you added the additional 5 fish. Your starting to get ammonia and nitrite becuase of the stocking. 5 fish added at the same time will do that in such a small tank

OP
OP
G

gstene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you guys. Gunna remove a few fish I had been planning on removing anyways. Also, I forgot that the reflux says to do a min of 30% water change after 3 weeks. I only did 2, 7% water changes. Gunna do a 20% change today. Feel like this should do the trick. Appreciate the help

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wrong

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower PH while keeping tank ALK above 200 since your tank is over stocked.
Your calcium has probably been dropping due to this imbalance. Calcium raise it to 450-500 zone. Acros need that calcium with higher nitrates.
secondly since you have 10 fish add “night out ii” to make sure nitrite is being turned to nitrates faster. Your lighting maybe bleaching the coral so when you raise KH with higher nitrates it balances out perfectly

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back