Sps polyp extension and alkalinity questions...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,847
Reaction score
122,425
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple of questions here...

1. Do you notice your acro polyp extension fades when your alkalinity is too low?

2. Do you ever dose alkalinity 2 part without the calcium?
 
1. My alk has dipped down into the 6.xx range and I haven’t noticed any changes in polyp extension. Normally run it around 8.5dkh.

2. No, I’ve always dosed equal parts calcium and alkalinity after reading many of @Randy Holmes-Farley posts which claim that corals consume alkalinity and calcium at equal proportions.
 
I haven’t noticed less polyp extension if my Alk was low. I’ve noticed it in the past when flow was not strong enough or lighting too strong.
Also, I use 2 part E.S.V. and dose equal parts of both with my doser and my levels are pretty stable. When you dose different amounts of both, I believe it leaves the door open for fluctuating parameters.
 
I ha
Couple of questions here...

1. Do you notice your acro polyp extension fades when your alkalinity is too low?

2. Do you ever dose alkalinity 2 part without the calcium?
I have not noticed that it does at least not dramatically. Some SPS's seem to be a bit more sensitive to the dropping ALK but for the most part, I tend to correct any drop relatively quickly so I can't make any long term correlations. I have dosed just the alkalinity over a few days or so to make adjustments utilizing my doser and have stopped calcium dosing. But again, this is not long term only to make corrections/adjustments.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new