SPS question for all the seasoned reef keepers out there

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'v e been in the hobby for a good part of 10 years now and have never really setup an SPS dominated reef tank before. So for my latest build I wanted to try my hand at trying to grow SPS corals. The corals that I then selected were montipora capricornis and monitopora digitata.
The corals have been in the tank for several months now and are all growing and thriving really well.
However, there are two that seem to be not doing well and have gone from vibrant colors down to a drab and almost colorless color.

In doing reasearch, Ive come across an several posts from people and a couple of articles talking about ULNs ( Ultra Low Nutrient systems and how some sps corals do not tolerate low levels of N03 and P04.
I'm wondering if the color change in the coral has any correlation between low nutrients levels of my system and the coloration of the corals?

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Below are the specs of my current system along with the current water parameters
for those who are curious.

System: REDSEA REEFER XL 425 (total 110 gallons)
Lighting:
2x radeon XR30W on for about 16 hrs a day

curculation:
2x maxspec gyres

return pump:
echtech vecra M1

Skimmer:
Reef octopus 150

fish load:
1x fox face
2x bangai cardnials
1x six line wrasse
1x cleaner shrimp

water parameters:
NO2: 2ppm
CA: 500ppm
Magnesium: 1500
alk: 8 DKH
P04: 0
Salinity: 1.027

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the two "problem children" located in the tank? Have you tried moving them around (slowly, of course) to see if it's a light/shadow issue?

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved then several times but in both cases polyps are fully extended just the total loss of color was visable. Plus i have other corals that are higher than those two and they are doing fine.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleached from too much light? You’ve got some powerful lightning and you run for 16hrs a day, which is a lot. I’d move them down and cut back on lighting. How are you measuring phosphate?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen a 16 hour photoperiod mine is 9

Not that I have a prob with it, but that’s a standout. Better have nice target feeding for each coral all the time to sustain that type of photosystem workout. Surprised there isn’t more probs I think given time and no change in lighting, some will adapt to this and some won’t. It’s amazing you have no display tank algae problems

Post full tank shot if poss

Pics help more than params

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rest of your coral seem to be colored up and thriving I wouldn't change a thing. I found it more harmful than not to start chasing things based off one or two corals not doing well when the rest of them are. Try moving it lower maybe or something to that effect but I wouldn't change any of the system main stays (parameters, lighting, etc.). I would only look at those if others started to decline as well.
Cheers

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you've been in the hobby for 10 years. Is this tank also 10 years old?

OP
OP
Greatreefer

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More or less. If your phosphate is truly 0 then you’ll need to get that up.

I kinda have a feeling that the teat kit ia faulty. I feed my fish 2x a day and the corals 1x a day. With that much food, it makes me wonder if the p04 and the no3 kits are accurate.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock.
Bingo. Tanks started with dry rock struggle with sps for longer times than their live rock counterparts. Mine until just recently, wouldn't do it. Now, I've got a few "hardy" sps species and just started with a few tester frags of acropora. Their doing nicely so far, but have only been in the tank a few weeks, so the jury is still out as to how they will do in the long run.
How's your coralline algae growth?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the corals turning light/pale in color or just browning out?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back