Sps RTN’s when Fragging

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone know why sometimes when you cut sps, the frag just rtn’s overnight? Even if it’s a good clean cut, seems to just happens sometimes

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from an expert here. But Ive heard there are some acros that you should leave the frag on the mother colony for period of time. I’ve never needed to do that but it might be something to research or try.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same issue. It has mostly been 2 specific tenuis in my tank. No dipping and they remain in the same tank.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know why sometimes when you cut sps, the frag just rtn’s overnight? Even if it’s a good clean cut, seems to just happens sometimes
The key word is sometime it's happened. Sps will rtn when they feel stress or change in the environment from fragging or moving it to different place therefore changing the flow or light intensity.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the theory behind rtn is bacterial infection generated by stress, whether it’s from parameter swings, light intensity or fragging. It kinda makes sense considering many of us dip our corals in iodine or other medicated solutions after fragging to help them heal faster.

OP
OP
JAMSOURY

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you fully covering the cut with glue? I always try to make sure that I seal the cut so that it doesn't get infected.
That’s a good idea, I’m going to give that a try.

When it did happen to me last, it went from high light intensity to low light intensity. Should be less stressful that way than the other way around, right?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea, I’m going to give that a try.

When it did happen to me last, it went from high light intensity to low light intensity. Should be less stressful that way than the other way around, right?

Intuitively yes, high to low. I really try to keep the new frag adjacent to where the mother colony is / was.

In general, I don't have issues but sometimes... hard to explain. I find the mother colonies actually kinda do better after trimming.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 82 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back