sps slime

  • Thread starter Thread starter bubbaque
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2016
Messages
6,362
Reaction score
20,892
Location
Central Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do my sps corals slime when I feed the tank? I read some about it and people said its a defense mechanism but that does not seem reasonable. All I feed the tank is Reef frenzy.
 
That is how they eat. They put the slim out there to collect the food floating around and suck it back in.
 
I didn't realize they suck it back in, :eek:. I thought it just blew away.
 
I don't believe they use the slime to eat. It is a defense reaction to something they don't like, an irritant. They'll slime to protect.
It is Mesenterial filaments, that are used to eat and for warfare, they are retracted when not being used.
 
They will also slime as a feeding response - particularly acros. Feed them right before lights out and then look at the tank 10 minutes after you feed the tank with a flashlight - most of your acros will likely have some visible slime.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new