Squarespot Anthia - please id

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just got this Anthia on Friday and it has developed this white stuff on her. None of the other fish are sick and I have not seen any fighting with it. Any idea what this could be and how it should be treated?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At minimum it has lymphocystis - and I would say ich as well. However more history would help! #fishmedic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At minimum it has lymphocystis - and I would say ich as well. However more history would help! #fishmedic
PS - which would mean - that you need to treat all of the fish in your tank - if no corals/inverts, you could use hyposalinity. Otherwise in a hospital tank. Copper would be the choice - guided by levels - rapidly up to 2.5

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - which would mean - that you need to treat all of the fish in your tank - if no corals/inverts, you could use hyposalinity. Otherwise in a hospital tank. Copper would be the choice - guided by levels - rapidly up to 2.5
Thanks for the reply. What other history are you looking for? I have a quarantine tank that currently has a aggressive sailfin in there in hope that when she is reintroduced she doesn’t keep trying to kill other fish :)
but I certainly can do copper in there once I get sailfin out. Would I do hyposalinity and copper or just copper?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply. What other history are you looking for? I have a quarantine tank that currently has a aggressive sailfin in there in hope that when she is reintroduced she doesn’t keep trying to kill other fish :)
but I certainly can do copper in there once I get sailfin out. Would I do hyposalinity and copper or just copper?
I'm assuming you put the fish into your display tank. If it has Ich, the rest of the fish will need treatment as well (i.e. yes it can spread). @Jay Hemdal hopefully will weigh in - it also sort of looks like brooklynella - but this would be not usual

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see spots that could be ich, and the general bedraggled look could be flukes. Both of those issues are contagious to the other fish in the tank.

I would contact the LFS and ask what they think - looks to me like they sold you a sick fish (it didn’t get this way from your fish, so it had to come in with it).

Worst case - Treatment would consist of copper and praziquantel in a treatment tank for all fish.

I'm not a big fan of this species - they have not done well for me, even with a comprehensive quaratine protocol.

Jay

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see spots that could be ich, and the general bedraggled look could be flukes. Both of those issues are contagious to the other fish in the tank.

I would contact the LFS and ask what they think - looks to me like they sold you a sick fish (it didn’t get this way from your fish, so it had to come in with it).

Worst case - Treatment would consist of copper and praziquantel in a treatment tank for all fish.

I'm not a big fan of this species - they have not done well for me, even with a comprehensive quaratine protocol.

Jay
My display is 260 gallons so there is a lot of fish in there it would be near impossible to get them all out and i would have nowhere to put them. I can remove the anthia for treatment in quarantine. I could prazi the display after but that is always a little scary with all the coral I have in there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is 260 gallons so there is a lot of fish in there it would be near impossible to get them all out and i would have nowhere to put them. I can remove the anthia for treatment in quarantine. I could prazi the display after but that is always a little scary with all the coral I have in there.
Yes - prazi can be done in a reef if you are careful, but if there is ich mixed in there, you would have to try ich management.

Jay

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back