Stability question

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was hoping some people (with successful sps/acro tanks) could post some images of their alk consumption. I have a Nano so I’m not sure what people consider “stabile”. And I know Nanos are difficult for stability, just trying to gage what works for others. Image of mine attached not I did up my all for reef so it has crept up a little.

thank you

FF943F87-9324-4323-8896-ED070CFFA0AC.png

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you mean by
post some images of their alk consumption
At one time I was hardly using any. Then I raised my alk to 11 and was using about 6ml a day. As corals grew I would have to increase my daily dose. I had gotten to over 200ml a day after a couple years. I have recently go ride of 5 colonies than were about a foot across each. I then had to drop a bout 100ml a day. I never dose any without testing. When I started I would test every day at the same time. Then slowly added more until I reached the level I wanted. Once you get it dialed in the dose should stay the same and the level be the same every day. As the corals grow it starts to use more.If I get 3 days in a row that my level drops then I adjust my dose up and add enough to bring the level back to were it was.

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean in terms of cyclical swings your graphs looks much less than 0.2. The alk solution from Red sea is dosed by raising/maintaining alkalinity in 0.1 increments so by comparison most people (many of whom dose once a day manually) would experience at least that much swing to justify a 1 ml dose per 100 litres. I think they would make it weaker if a much tighter/more accurate stability was needed.

OP
OP
R

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. You hit all good points. Just trying to figure out what is “stabile”. I.e. mine swings roughly 0.1 per day but is consistent when taken at the same time everyday so is that considered “stabile”? If not what is?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 10 mils of calcium per day and 6 mils of alkalinity per day. It all depends on what your test reading are, dosing accordingly, if you need to increase a lot, start slowly. When you see your corals growing at the base, you know that Params are good. The more detailed you get, the more tinkering you are inclined to do. I frag my acros like crazy.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex. Is that graph alk? It looks more like pH numbers to me. If so that would be different. To maintain pH. I would run a refugium opposite of my DT. I also run the air line to my skimmer outside.

OP
OP
R

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex. Is that graph alk? It looks more like pH numbers to me. If so that would be different. To maintain pH. I would run a refugium opposite of my DT. I also run the air line to my skimmer outside.
Hi Palmer, yes that is the alk graph for a week.

OP
OP
R

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. So are you running the Triton? If so how many yes a day is it set to test and at what times?
Hey Palmer, Yes, I have a Trident, It’s interesting how it fluctuates! It runs the minimum schedule... ALK 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm.... Calc/Mag 12am, 12pm.... My tank is currently low demand but trying to do it right and get a feel for things as it ramps up demand. I am a noob

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back