Stable high nutrients

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrates and phosphates have been very stable but high. For the past five weeks my nitrates have been at 55 ppm and phosphate at 0.16 ppm +- 10% for both values. Im wondering if i get my nutrients down to “better levels” would the nitrate and phosphate remain constant at a lower level?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If they are stable at that level, you can probably keep them stable at lower levels.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is, I wouldn’t add equipment or anything because you’re already doing fine keeping it stable, so you’ll want to keep doing exactly what you’re doing now after your levels are lower. Not sure why you’re against water change but I’d think that’s probably best for this.

Running a fuge for longer durations is a good way, but if you’re not already running one I wouldn’t add it just for this cause you wouldn’t run it long.

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is, I wouldn’t add equipment or anything because you’re already doing fine keeping it stable, so you’ll want to keep doing exactly what you’re doing now after your levels are lower. Not sure why you’re against water change but I’d think that’s probably best for this.

Running a fuge for longer durations is a good way, but if you’re not already running one I wouldn’t add it just for this cause you wouldn’t run it long.
Im pro water change, always have been. Only problem is my current tank is almost 400 gallons. I do 5% weekly water changes. I might bite the bullet and do 20% a week for four weeks.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pro water change, always have been. Only problem is my current tank is almost 400 gallons. I do 5% weekly water changes. I might bite the bullet and do 20% a week for four weeks.
Yeah, that’s a lot of water, but I’m afraid that’s probably your best option.

I have a better idea to get rid of nutrients, buy more coral haha

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s a lot of water, but I’m afraid that’s probably your best option.

I have a better idea to get rid of nutrients, buy more coral haha
Yeah they just need to get bigger. Tank is full with tiny little frags that dont really do much. Im just gonna leave it. Nothings dying and everything looks fine.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they just need to get bigger. Tank is full with tiny little frags that dont really do much. Im just gonna leave it. Nothings dying and everything looks fine.

I wouldn't change anything. Lots of people with successful tanks run high nutrients, much higher than yours. If your tank looks good, just monitor and try not to let things rise or fall too quickly.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change anything. Lots of people with successful tanks run high nutrients, much higher than yours. If your tank looks good, just monitor and try not to let things rise or fall too quickly.
Yeah, sorry I didn’t really dig deeper into what you were asking. to add to this comment, do whatever works for you. You may run into issues one day with not being able to keep some corals, but if you’re having success now and coloration that you’re happy with, don’t change things just because it “shouldn’t” be like that.

Sorry, I should have started with that, I just went right in and answered your question without going further into the situation.

Back