Stagnant Eshopps Refugium Chamber

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
13,470
Reaction score
68,997
Location
Hernando County
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running an adv-100 sump and since the beginning have noticed pretty minimal flow through what's supposed to be the refugium chamber. Seems like it's getting worse and worse over time. I'm going to pull the foam between that and the return chamber to see if giving that a good rinse will help -- but it's never had enough flow to be a effective fuge anyway.

Anyone using one of these and notice anything similar yourselves? Short of popping a small pump or powerhead in there, any solutions?
 
No experience with these, but I'll bump for possibly more input
 
keep the foam out if it is blocking it. How are you measuring the flow? they dont need turbulent flow.
 
keep the foam out if it is blocking it. How are you measuring the flow? they dont need turbulent flow.

Film is building up on the surface from lack of flow, nothing was able to grow in there because there was zero movement. I ended up moving my carbon reactor over to flow in there and that seems to have helped tremendously.
 
I've got an Eshopps R-200 for my 210g display tank and have the same issue with low flow in the refugium. I'm actually thinking about doing a 40g breeder DIY sump. I also thought about widening the slots or adding more.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new