Stagnant / Walstad Saltwater Jar Experiment success!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stagnant saltwater jar experiment has turned into a success. Asterinas and some macro algae (chaeto) have successfully made it near half a year being outside for spring and summer.

We’ve had temps outside in the 40s, and mid 90s. Also there is large salinity swings in tbe jar. I imagine because they’re from tidal areas around Florida they can deal with the inconsistencies.
IMG_9989.jpeg
IMG_9990.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
how is the mangrove reacting to this? i might do the exact same with 2 mangroves i have and put it in my office.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the mangrove reacting to this? i might do the exact same with 2 mangroves i have and put it in my office.
Mangrove was a fatality. It could have been because root damage though when I transplanted. I think one could make it with a big enough refuge. I think ive heard of people putting mangroves outside , but not sure about stagnant water.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mangrove was a fatality. It could have been because root damage though when I transplanted. I think one could make it with a big enough refuge. I think ive heard of people putting mangroves outside , but not sure about stagnant water.
I may have to experiment and see if it works. Out of the two mangroves i have, only 1 seems to be alive, the other wilted/shriveled a bit.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to experiment and see if it works. Out of the two mangroves i have, only 1 seems to be alive, the other wilted/shriveled a bit.
Go for it! I would personally recommend trying it with a very healthy mangrove that has a light source similar to what you'll give it outside. They do not do the best with big light transitions, and that added with the shock of going in a stagnant tank and possibly outside would likely lead to demise (my guess)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back