Staining cabinet around aquarium

Fishinwall

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2012
Messages
848
Reaction score
86
Location
Erie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a custom made cabinet built around my aquarium. Would it be a bad idea to start the reef tank up prior to the cabinet being stained and varnished? Would the fumes be harmful to the fish and corals? It's been over three months and I'm not sure i can wait any longer!
 
If you are varnishing the stand, you will want to use a spar or marine varnish. This is something you will want to do before filling the tank and stocking it with wildlife. JMTC
 
IMO you want to make sure your stand gets sealed with a couple healthy coats of marine spar varnish prior to filling. Any bare wood that gets wet will raise the grain. Sealing the wood prior to any water nearby would be best for long term longevity of the stand. Patience in this hobby is key. Step by step process. Good luck.
 
Thanks

Patience in this hobby is key. Step by step process. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Lol, if you only knew... This project started in March! ok I was afraid of that, but thought I'd throw it out there just to make sure. Thank you.
 
Lets see a build thread. Sounds like your doing it right. It's that itch when you have seen the tank sitting with no water in it and a ton of planning coming down to the end. So tempting! Put up some pics and welcome to reef2reef.
 
Thank you. I just figured out how to post some pics so ill give it a try once I get all the photos organized.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Lets see a build thread. Sounds like your doing it right. It's that itch when you have seen the tank sitting with no water in it and a ton of planning coming down to the end. So tempting! Put up some pics and welcome to reef2reef.

My tank build thread is up now.



Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I used waterbased polyurethane on mine. Worked fine and it's been 6 years. Looks good as new.
Marine varnish is fine if you plan on having the stand underwater, but is really not necessary IMO.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new