Stalled Nitrogen Cycle - Advice?

rhappel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hobby. I've been trying to read up on stalled nitrogen cycles but my situation seems to be different from the trouble that most people have. I set up a 20 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago. My goal is to start with a pair of clown fish and eventually add some corals after the tank is more established in a few months. I started cycling my tank by using Fritz Pro Aquatic Ammonium Chloride and got my ammonia concentration to 4 ppm. I also added fritzyme 9 live nitrifying bacteria at the same time. A few days later, I thought I was on the right track because my nitrite and nitrate levels began to rise. The rest of my parameters have been stable the entire time: my pH is 8.0, my salinity is 1.025, and my temperature 78 degrees Farenheit. After about a week, my ammonia level was starting to decrease from 4 ppm, my nitrite level seemed to be somewhere between 2-5 ppm, and my nitrate level was somewhere between 80-160 ppm. As the last two weeks have passed, my ammonia level and nitrate level have decreased to 0, while my nitrite level seems to be stuck at around 5 ppm. What am I doing wrong? I know my cycle is not complete because my nitrite level is not 0. What am I supposed to do to get my nitrite level to decrease?

I appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. The puzzling part about the situation is that my nitrate has returned to 0 on its own but my NITRITE level has not decreased at all.
This has to be faulty somehow. If you had nitrate unless doing a water change it wouldn't just disappear

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duuuuuh da. Duuuuuuuu da. Duuuuda duuuuda duuuda duuda da!

great thread agreed all

nitrite is no longer cared about in new cycling science, per Randys posts in the chem forum. How you prep your tank and fish against disease is what matters in updated cycling science. Begin study in the disease forum stickies

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*inserts jaws music as Brandon approaches
Duuuuuh da. Duuuuuuuu da. Duuuuda duuuuda duuuda duuda da!

great thread agreed all

nitrite is no longer cared about in new cycling science, per Randys posts in the chem forum.
This was perfect. Well played on spelling the jaws theme as well lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back