Stand Framing Question

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you’ve med me feel ok about removing this. And no, there is nothing transferring the load to the ground.

Now I’m just not sure how to remove the screws from the back side since it’s up against the wall and I only have a few inches to work. Maybe one of those S-shaped screw drivers. Then I guess I’d have to toe-nail (screw) in the new brace.
Maybe something like this .....

105 Degree Right Angle Driver Angle Extension Power Screwdriver Drill Attachment with 1/4 Drive 6mm Hex Bit Magnetic Drill Bit Socket Angled Bit Power Drill Tool and Soft Shaft (1 set) - - Amazon.com

Then I would reattach the new brace with a metal bracket hanger.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would sealing and treating the wood be a more effective way to consider using 4x4’s? Just curious I’ve never used them but
Much better to use sistered 2x4s. It's not just that 4x4 bow, they can also twist.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes someone told you wrong I am afraid. This is why it is possible to have rimless tanks. Silicone is incredibly strong at holding glass together(again as evidenced by large rimless tanks). The flipside is also why silicone is not used in acrylic tanks....because it is incredibly weak bond to acrylic.
Interesting I’ve definitely seen rimless a bunch but yeah I just thought that the rimmed tanks were different lol my bad! Speaking of I’ve got a question about a cracked tank sealed with silicone.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would sealing and treating the wood be a more effective way to consider using 4x4’s? Just curious I’ve never used them but
I think that in theory if a board were completely coated in something that would prevent all moisture from going into or out of the board it should prevent warping, but in actually that wouldn't happen. If you need 4x4 it's best to attach two 2x4 with a 1/2 piece of plywood in the middle to give the same dimensions.

When I said 4x4 are more likely to bow I should have used the term warp, it can be bowing, twisting, cupping, etc.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that in theory if a board were completely coated in something that would prevent all moisture from going into or out of the board it should prevent warping, but in actually that wouldn't happen. If you need 4x4 it's best to attach two 2x4 with a 1/2 piece of plywood in the middle to give the same dimensions.

When I said 4x4 are more likely to bow I should have used the term warp, it can be bowing, twisting, cupping, etc.
Good to know interesting

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back