Staph in seahorse reef

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who has accidentally introduced Staph into her seahorse reef via improperly handled mysis (we believe). The seahorses all died from terrible bacterial infections that didn't respond to TMS antibiotic. We got an Aquabiomics test, and Staph was very prominent.

She has a 15 watt UV sterilizer with approx 300 GPH running through it. Her reef is 75 gallons with tons of coral and live rock, so we don't want to treat the entire tank. She's been wearing gloves to handle anything inside the tank, but we're worried about risk of zoonotic transmission.

She wants to upgrade to a 125 soon, but is also concerned about transferring Staph to the new tank.

Is there anything we can do?

Hello, Jay :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a friend who has accidentally introduced Staph into her seahorse reef via improperly handled mysis (we believe). The seahorses all died from terrible bacterial infections that didn't respond to TMS antibiotic. We got an Aquabiomics test, and Staph was very prominent.

She has a 15 watt UV sterilizer with approx 300 GPH running through it. Her reef is 75 gallons with tons of coral and live rock, so we don't want to treat the entire tank. She's been wearing gloves to handle anything inside the tank, but we're worried about risk of zoonotic transmission.

She wants to upgrade to a 125 soon, but is also concerned about transferring Staph to the new tank.

Staph infection are contagious and risky but I believe not a threat to reef tank as they are human to human. Antibiotic should have helped but UV certainly should as well as use of carbon.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Staph infection are contagious and risky but I believe not a threat to reef tank as they are human to human. Antibiotic should have helped but UV certainly should as well as use of carbon.
would cipro or amoxocilin work in this case? i've been dosing cipro to help bring back a withering OG bounce and it SEEMS to be working (hasn't gotten worse since i've began dosing). OP said the horsie's are infected so perhaps either of these would work? not sure what a "TMS antibiotic" is

OP
OP
FeliciaM

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would cipro or amoxocilin work in this case? i've been dosing cipro to help bring back a withering OG bounce and it SEEMS to be working (hasn't gotten worse since i've began dosing). OP said the horsie's are infected so perhaps either of these would work? not sure what a "TMS antibiotic" is
TMS is Bactrim. rX antibiotic, she's a veterinarian so she has access to pretty much any antibiotics.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - I've personally never positively identified a Staphylococcus infection in fish. These are gram positive bacteria, so I would expect that Erythromycin would be the treatment of choice, but Noga does not report any useful treatment.

Virtually ALL bacterial infections of fish are from bacteria species normally found in aquarium microbiomes, so trying to eliminate them with antibiotics is futile. Rather, you need to determine and resolve the reason why the seahorses became infected in the first place - some environmental stressor.

High levels of staph in aquarium water can be a human health issue though, as you know - so be sure to wear gloves and use proper PPE when working around aquariums.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back