Freak Accident with Clown

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a complete freak accident with a clownfish I’ve had for about 5 years. I’m actually in the process of getting out of the hobby and was taking my clownfish pair to my local saltwater fish supplier. He’s a good guy and was actually planning on keeping them for his personal tank.
Anyway, while trying to take the female out of the tank, she freaked out and jumped out. Somehow she managed to hit the cover for the tank, which proceeded to fall and slam right on top of her when she landed on the ground. She has a huge bruise and seems to have a really hard time using her back fin. She’s finally staying up right but having heavy breathing and really struggling. I feel absolutely awful. This was my first saltwater fish. Is there anything we can do?? Please help.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had a complete freak accident with a clownfish I’ve had for about 5 years. I’m actually in the process of getting out of the hobby and was taking my clownfish pair to my local saltwater fish supplier. He’s a good guy and was actually planning on keeping them for his personal tank.
Anyway, while trying to take the female out of the tank, she freaked out and jumped out. Somehow she managed to hit the cover for the tank, which proceeded to fall and slam right on top of her when she landed on the ground. She has a huge bruise and seems to have a really hard time using her back fin. She’s finally staying up right but having heavy breathing and really struggling. I feel absolutely awful. This was my first saltwater fish. Is there anything we can do?? Please help.

This will be hit and miss as it is hard to determine extent of injuries until issues arise. The clown is lucky to be alive but in the mean time increase oxygen with air stone and lower lights. I see its breathing heavily and that rate needs to be decreased

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be hit and miss as it is hard to determine extent of injuries until issues arise. The clown is lucky to be alive but in the mean time increase oxygen with air stone and lower lights. I see its breathing heavily and that rate needs to be decreased
She’s breathing less heavily and asleep for the night. Worried she may not be able to use her back fin, but we will reassess how she looks tomorrow.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown's are pretty darn tough, but i imagine getting squashed with something atleast 10x your bodyweight probably doesnt bode well...

As per what @vetteguy53081 said up the aeration. Beyond that you just gotta hope shes tough enough to recover :(

Hopefully she pulls through

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freak accident to staying in the hobby possibly another 25-35 years. Hope your fish recovers I know nothing about recovery so can’t comment on that but good luck.
Well ironically my other hobby is bonsai, so I’m already in a similar commitment. Lol

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahahaha yea with proper husbandry clowns have been seen to live over 35 years LOL who knows maybe even longer??

But for recovery, as she made it though the night thats a good sign. Is she using her hind fin at all? I would be slightly worried about spinal damage.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahahaha yea with proper husbandry clowns have been seen to live over 35 years LOL who knows maybe even longer??

But for recovery, as she made it though the night thats a good sign. Is she using her hind fin at all? I would be slightly worried about spinal damage.
I have seen her use it, but it’s seldom. My main worry right now is her eating. She didn’t eat today, but we will see tomorrow. Probably gonna get the frozen food out.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen her use it, but it’s seldom. My main worry right now is her eating. She didn’t eat today, but we will see tomorrow. Probably gonna get the frozen food out.

She might just be too stressed to eat... hopefully her tummy changes her mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back