Starfish compatability

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any starfish that wont eat macro algae? I have some red gracilaria in my tank and the person helping me stock it really wants a starfish. Any ideas?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many will eat macro algae actually...that's generally not the concern...if i were you I'd be more worried about what the starfish WILL eat...

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many will eat macro algae actually...that's generally not the concern...if i were you I'd be more worried about what the starfish WILL eat...
Meaning? Lol. They were looking at a chocolate chip starfish. I'd like to get a nem in the tank and I know they WILL eat that. Any that are easier, good looking, stars that wouldn't be a problem with nems and macro?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning? Lol. They were looking at a chocolate chip starfish. I'd like to get a nem in the tank and I know they WILL eat that. Any that are easier, good looking, stars that wouldn't be a problem with nems and macro?
Are you opposed to brittle or serpent stars??

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew chocolate chips ate nems

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an lfs and have had them nab some fish in the store, and I wanna do a few shrimp so probably would prefer to avoid them. That and they never come out lol
Oh really? I too used to work in a shop and never experienced that but I'm not doubting you or anything. Do you know about West African Biscuit Starfish? They're generally a little pricey and can be difficult to find though...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an lfs and have had them nab some fish in the store, and I wanna do a few shrimp so probably would prefer to avoid them. That and they never come out lol
Were these the big green serpent starfish? Because from everything I’ve read/seen, we don’t really get predatory brittle starfish in the hobby much if at all aside from the green serpent star, Ophiarachna incrassata.

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I too used to work in a shop and never experienced that but I'm not doubting you or anything. Do you know about West African Biscuit Starfish? They're generally a little pricey and can be difficult to find though...
Had one eat a sixline wrasse believe it or not. He slept in the hole the starfish made got eaten over night. Heard of them, they look so cool! Seen the aussies but not the Africans. Ever seen a double starfish?

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these the big green serpent starfish? Because from everything I’ve read/seen, we don’t really get predatory brittle starfish in the hobby much if at all aside from the green serpent star, Ophiarachna incrassata.
Came in as a serpent star. Our suppliers never get specific unfortunately, which ticks me off. But I'm pretty sure it was a green.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came in as a serpent star. Our suppliers never get specific unfortunately, which ticks me off. But I'm pretty sure it was a green.
Yeah, they’re the only green ones I’ve seen, so it was probably the same species. They’re known fish predators.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one eat a sixline wrasse believe it or not. He slept in the hole the starfish made got eaten over night. Heard of them, they look so cool! Seen the aussies but not the Africans. Ever seen a double starfish?
I haven't heard the term "double starfish". What's the actual name of them?...tbh I do know a bit about stars so almost certainly know of it at the very least

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...in that case, yeah I've seen them many times...
Only two more accessible stars that I can think of that I can think of that would be safe for all that would be that double star and a sand sifter. Cause linkas are more difficult and I honestly can't remember if they are reef safe. There's kinds that are and kinds that aren't I believe

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only two more accessible stars that I can think of that I can think of that would be safe for all that would be that double star and a sand sifter. Cause linkas are more difficult and I honestly can't remember if they are reef safe. There's kinds that are and kinds that aren't I believe
Yeah, the double star is likely going to be just as difficult as the Linckias (as biofilm eaters, they have a similar diet), and sand sifters are known for depleting the fauna in the sand bed then starving. Honestly, at this point the only tropical true starfish that seem to do really well in our tanks are Aquilonastra species (known in the hobby as Asterina starfish, though Asterina is actually a different genus in the same family as Aquilonastra, and Asterina stars are typically predatory). Beyond that, the next best thing we have are the non-green brittle/serpent stars.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back