Starfish Decline?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CastAway
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
4,457
Reaction score
3,108
Location
Knoxville TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have heard that starfish are generally short lived, and typically in decline upon adding to a system. Avoided having one for a couple years, but, bought one several months ago.

Notice some decay recently.

Any advice?
Any hope for it?

View attachment 458204
 
Good luck I've been wanting to add a fromia to my tank.
 
IMG_1484271721.887103.jpg
 
Doesn't look good. I was reading about them earlier today and once they start to lose a leg like that things go down hill quick. If it were me I wouldn't remove him just yet. How long has your tank been set up?
 
Doesn't look good. I was reading about them earlier today and once they start to lose a leg like that things go down hill quick. If it were me I wouldn't remove him just yet. How long has your tank been set up?

Almost four years I think.

Bummed.
 
Well it's definitely established then. Everything I read said that no one really knows 100% what starfish feed on and that's why they decline. They also don't like ph changes. Have you ever fed him directly? Did he eat what you fed? Are you dosing anything for alk? If so did you dose to much at once or to close to the starfish?
 
I've never fed it directly, nor have I seen it eat. I run a CA reactor, solid Alk and Ca, and a chronically low pH. I did have a small flood, maybe 8-9 gallons from 220 total, and some resulting salinity issues 1.026 to 1.024. This may have been coincident with its decline.

If it due to something I did, and I correct it, might it recover?
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new