Starfish eating soft coral

fishdaddy911

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2025
Messages
57
Reaction score
47
Location
maine
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched on my lights of my recently started aquarium this morning to see how everything was looking. Noticed an asterina (?) starfish chowing down on a zoa polyp, and another one crawling up the glass. Yesterday I also saw my new hammer coral had some tentacles on its side that were damaged as well, I figured it was a result of damage from the transfer, now thinking its probably the starfish. We have loads of them in the coral tank of the petco I work in but never noticed them on soft coral before. These ones also seem larger. They are purple with a red center. Guess I should start to dip my new corals from now on.

image.jpg
 
I've lost a couple of zoa colonies over the years and I've always suspected those asterina's. I pick them out of the tank whenever I see them now.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new