Starfish ID please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mearle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
65
Reaction score
4
Location
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a dying coral from the lfs for free only few polyps left found a starfish on it was woundering if he was the cause of it all
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Asterina starfish. Some people claim they eat corals so it is possible that they are the cause. They reproduce quickly by dropping a leg.
 
Thanks I had them when I first bought an existing tank but they all died through the cycle they looked a lot diffrent though I was hoping it was this guy so I could save the coral but looks like not hopefully he will survive we will see
 
The fact that nobody can distinguish the bad Asterina stars from the good Asterina stars is why I treat them all as bad. As soon as I see one it get's tossed ASAP.
There's lot's of horror stories out there regarding these things. Watch out!
 
I've got quite a few in my tank, one about the size of a dime. All light colored, almost white, and all have been good. I've read where most people have issues with the dark colored ones.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new