Starfish QT?

I like to QT everything. If it's going to die quickly (such as from shipping stress), I'd rather it die in my QT tank than in the DT.
 
I see no reason to QT a starfish. Any pathogens/parasites a starfish brings to a system is not going to show in a couple weeks of passive QT, you can not treat a starfish secondary to their extreme sensitivity to medications. Inverts such has Starfish and Urchins often harbor parasites that are specific to those inverts.
 
I only QT for a week or so to make sure they came in reasonably healthy. I do NOT treat with any medications. Yes, they could have come in with parasites but I find that most mortality occurs in the first week or two and I'd rather it be in QT than DT.
 
It's more common to receive a specimen with nutritional status issues post transport and LFS. Unless the QT houses the mediums to grow film algae and bio mass for the starfish to feed on then one might be actually contributing to the demise of a particular invert early on rather than adding them to the display.
If the system is large and established the death of an invert should have no noticeable affect on water quality, if the system is small than retrieval of dead invert should not be problematic.
If Starfish commonly harbored the same parasites that may infect fish or other inverts such as clams, corals and anemones than QT would be essential but these inverts do not, and you can not treat for parasites or disease.

It's a nice idea to QT everything that goes into a tank but it's not a practical practice for some inverts.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new