Starry Blenny QT Behavior

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new starry Blenny is freaking out in QT. Visibly bouncing when breathing while perched and swimming up to the surface at the water return and staying there. Not sure if he's ok!:/
I picked up 3 new fish and placed them in QT on 12/8. Firefish, tailspot blenny and starry Blenny. All purchased together from same system at lfs (1.020) been feeding mysis and algae wafers. No detectable ammonia. Currently on day 3 of API general cure. 13.5g Qt cycled for 3 months and have continued dosing bacteria since adding fish. 2 airstones running 24/7. Help! Can't watch the little dude die:(

Edit: attached a video of the breathing and a pic of where he has been sitting near the surface.

PXL_20211214_193020743.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211214_192832227.mp4
    37.1 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new starry Blenny is freaking out in QT. Visibly bouncing when breathing while perched and swimming up to the surface at the water return and staying there. Not sure if he's ok!:/
I picked up 3 new fish and placed them in QT on 12/8. Firefish, tailspot blenny and starry Blenny. All purchased together from same system at lfs (1.020) been feeding mysis and algae wafers. No detectable ammonia. Currently on day 3 of API general cure. 13.5g Qt cycled for 3 months and have continued dosing bacteria since adding fish. 2 airstones running 24/7. Help! Can't watch the little dude die:(
Made this post in a hurry so sorry if I missed obvious info I should have included

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. What are the rest of your water parameters? Is there any bullying going on? Was there presence of parasites, flukes for example since you're administering GC?

A video would be helpful as well.

OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. What are the rest of your water parameters? Is there any bullying going on? Was there presence of parasites, flukes for example since you're administering GC?

A video would be helpful as well.
There was nothing obvious but saw some light flashing from the starry and tailspot so went ahead went the GC. No bullying between the fish, they even sleep together lol
I'm going to test the water now to get a better idea, but it seems to be more of a breathing thing but again no obvious sign of parasites and am running airstones. I attached a video of the little guy. He will do this and then go back to the surface. Pic attached of that as well

Attachments

• PXL_20211214_192832227.mp4
    37.1 MB
  • PXL_20211214_193020743.jpg
    PXL_20211214_193020743.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up to do a FWD and see if that shows anything. It's only 1 fish so I don't think it's a tank thing as much of a single fish issue.

OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the dip nothing obvious in the water. Some small black specks was it. Fish continuing to sit still finning hard while breathing.

PXL_20211214_231653549.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the dip nothing obvious in the water. Some small black specks was it. Fish continuing to sit still finning hard while breathing.

PXL_20211214_231653549.jpg

Have you medicated the fish with anything yet?
No obvious symptoms on any of the other fish, none of them are breathing hard?
The one video is really odd - the blenny breathes fast, then shakes a bit and then the breathing seems to slow down....not sure what to make of that.

Jay

OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you medicated the fish with anything yet?
No obvious symptoms on any of the other fish, none of them are breathing hard?
The one video is really odd - the blenny breathes fast, then shakes a bit and then the breathing seems to slow down....not sure what to make of that.

Jay
I added API General Cure on 12/11 so today is day 4 of it in the system.

The other fish are breathing normally, but there is a decent amount of flashing from the tailspot as well as a couple small spots on the fin I'm watching close. The firefish is just hanging out.

After the FWD the starry stopped going to the surface and is now sitting next to the airstone. Same weird breathing pattern of normal then fast. I thought maybe the black specks after the dip could have been black ich? but I have no idea if that falls off that way or would cause the weird breathing. Otherwise, he seems to be eating normally and staying regular lol
Thanks for the help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added API General Cure on 12/11 so today is day 4 of it in the system.

The other fish are breathing normally, but there is a decent amount of flashing from the tailspot as well as a couple small spots on the fin I'm watching close. The firefish is just hanging out.

After the FWD the starry stopped going to the surface and is now sitting next to the airstone. Same weird breathing pattern of normal then fast. I thought maybe the black specks after the dip could have been black ich? but I have no idea if that falls off that way or would cause the weird breathing. Otherwise, he seems to be eating normally and staying regular lol
Thanks for the help!
The general cure is degraded by now. Are you considering a second dose?
Given the symptoms, I wonder if this is a neurological issue and not a disease?
Jay

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lawnmower and starry blenny in my 340 gallon for almost 2 years now. I will say, their behavior in general is neurotic in general. They chase each other then go hide in my corals or in rock ledges. I'll catch them sitting on top of my frag racks, my overflows, almost anywhere they can get to staring at me. They seem to breathe faster than other fish in general, but, they are healthy. I tend to let algae grow on the side glass (both ends) for a month or so, and when it gets to a certain maturity each blenny picks an end and goes to town. They devour the entire pain of algae on the glass in a day. Almost to the point I don't have to scrape it. Hundreds if not thousands of cute little blenny kisses all over the end glass. To eat that fast - My tank is 3 feet wide and 31" tall, That's a lot of glass to get through in a single day. They have to have spastic amounts of energy.

My lawnmower blenny has a massive belly. Almost looks unhealthy. Not sure how he swims. But, he's been that way for a long time. The blenny may just be stressed in the QT. With minimal hiding places, minimal algae to feast on, no live rock. Generally scary place to be. . .

Or like others have said, it could be nuerological damage. Maybe from collection. If cyanide was used in collecting him, maybe he was injured in the process.

OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general cure is degraded by now. Are you considering a second dose?
Given the symptoms, I wonder if this is a neurological issue and not a disease?
Jay
Late update, but the little guy made it! Been happy and healthy for a few months now. really thought he was a goner. Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20221003_211125396.jpg
    PXL_20221003_211125396.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20221003_211211170.jpg
    PXL_20221003_211211170.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 23

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back