Start of my tanks ugly stage?

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is only about 3 months old, starting to get a decent amount of algae all over things. I’m guessing the is my tanks ugly stage that everyone talks about? Any recommendations to keep this in check? Maybe an ID of what algae this might be? From what I’ve read keeping nitrates in check will help? Thanks!

8A289B33-3AF7-49D5-A5E0-3F6351CC50DE.jpeg 8F1913C4-EC98-4846-AF65-45FEFCF48878.jpeg

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it looks like your tank is just beginning it’s ugly stage and is growing diatoms. I would just leave it alone, keep salinity in check and let everything run it’s course. Different types of algae will grow and compete until coralline algae starts to grow. This algae is beneficial and will prevent harmful/ugly algae from growing. Best of luck && enjoy your reef! Nothing is more rewarding.

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it looks like your tank is just beginning it’s ugly stage and is growing diatoms. I would just leave it alone, keep salinity in check and let everything run it’s course. Different types of algae will grow and compete until coralline algae starts to grow. This algae is beneficial and will prevent harmful/ugly algae from growing. Best of luck && enjoy your reef! Nothing is more rewarding.
Great! Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is bubbles all over everything normal as well?

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is bubble all over everything normal as well?

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up dinoflagellates and see if that resembles what you’re looking at. Both diatoms and Dino’s can be normal for new tanks, but neither should choke out/cover corals. Once any kind of algae starts to do that, it’s time to perform some combative measures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back