Starting a new IM15 cube would love suggestions

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2018
Messages
3,351
Reaction score
6,021
Location
Durham, North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I am setting up a brand new IM15 cube with some liverock from my sump. Does anyone have some can't miss equipment and stocking ideas for the tank? I was curious about lighting as well as best flow options for such a small tank

Currently I'm considering replacing the return with a somewhat oversized return and just using that for flow.

What about fun 15gallon stocking ideas? Currently I had just planned to put one of my baby toadstool coral in there and have it be a tailspot blenny, a clown goby, and a pistol shrimp and goby pair to double as an emergency hospital tank.

Any suggestions appreciated :)
 
i have a IM 15 as my nem tank. its run with a axis 20 and RFG paired with a nero 3 for flow, the only filtration is a uv, and lit by a nicrew gen 2 150.

theres 2 clowns, a pajama cardinal and radiant wrasse.

its a pretty easy tank to get whatever flow you need, I can honestly easily get away with just the return.

be careful of how you mount a light since most of the time it completely blocks the middle chamber not allowing you to use any larger filtration devices.

another small thing ive noticed is how the acrylic that separates the main area and rear chambers dips down on the return side it creates a gap that allows gobies to jump through into the rear chambers
 
Some ideas:
- Anemone only tank, with designer clowns maybe
- Maybe a macroalgae tank?
- I don't know the right size for these, but maybe you could do a mantis shrimp? Can someone verify if this is the right size? I'm probably wrong
 
You can do anything you want just on a smaller scale.
My IM15 mixed reef has 30+ coral 2 fish.
Sicci .5 return
Tunze 6040
Tunze ato
Hygger heater
Esv 2 part on Kamoer dosers
Radion xr15 gen 5 blue
9 month old system
20260106_131700.jpg
 
You can do anything you want just on a smaller scale.
My IM15 mixed reef has 30+ coral 2 fish.
Sicci .5 return
Tunze 6040
Tunze ato
Hygger heater
Esv 2 part on Kamoer dosers
Radion xr15 gen 5 blue
9 month old system
20260106_131700.jpg
What fish do you keep in there?
 
i have a IM 15 as my nem tank. its run with a axis 20 and RFG paired with a nero 3 for flow, the only filtration is a uv, and lit by a nicrew gen 2 150.

theres 2 clowns, a pajama cardinal and radiant wrasse.

its a pretty easy tank to get whatever flow you need, I can honestly easily get away with just the return.

be careful of how you mount a light since most of the time it completely blocks the middle chamber not allowing you to use any larger filtration devices.

another small thing ive noticed is how the acrylic that separates the main area and rear chambers dips down on the return side it creates a gap that allows gobies to jump through into the rear chambers
Luckily I have the optional mesh custom lid som IM15 not too worried about the jumping, or are you saying they can get through the small daylight there?
 
Some ideas:
- Anemone only tank, with designer clowns maybe
- Maybe a macroalgae tank?
- I don't know the right size for these, but maybe you could do a mantis shrimp? Can someone verify if this is the right size? I'm probably wrong
Macroalgae could he fun. Might bring some sargassum home from the beach next time I'm there!
 
20260106_163800_6526934C-0647-413B-BBE4-8C79836C76FC.png

20260106_163800_1DBB8CCE-E94B-4C30-834C-E82F18FF2D06.png
How that back wall dips down on the right. It creates a gap even with a lid that fish can jump through and end up in the back chamber
 
20260106_163800_6526934C-0647-413B-BBE4-8C79836C76FC.png

20260106_163800_1DBB8CCE-E94B-4C30-834C-E82F18FF2D06.png
How that back wall dips down on the right. It creates a gap even with a lid that fish can jump through and end up in the back chamber
If I wanted, not worried about mine, I could easily mod the black pvc foam board I use to cover the open area. I need this because my ato sensor is sensitive to stray light.
20260106_134757.jpg
 
Last edited:
This tank really reminded that I can have a beautiful tank while keeping it very simple with bare minimum equipment and effort.

Radion xr15 g4
Sicce 1.0 return with vca random flow generator
Inkbird heater with 100w brs heater

2 clowns, watchman goby, lps and softies, but I’ll maybe pull coral for a Chicago or Colorado sunburst anemone.

4 gallon water change every 3 weeks and manually top off water daily.
These IM filter socks are garbage though and I don’t even use them anymore.
IMG_5066.jpeg
 
If I wanted, not worried about mine, I could easily mod the black pvc foam board I use to cover the open area. I need this because my ato sensor is sensitive to stray light.
20260106_134757.jpg
yeah i have the intank rear chamber cover that also has a piece that comes down to completely block the gap off
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new